Question about using a tow bar

Anything Corvair related
joelsplace

Re: Question about using a tow bar

Post by joelsplace »

Have you thought about buying a trailer and then selling it when you are done? You might even be able to make money. 30-40 years ago you could buy a new 16' flatbed for less than used ones were going for. You might also be able to buy a used one at a trailer dealer with an agreement for them to buy it back.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
whenim64

Post by whenim64 »

Rent the U-Haul trailer. You're towing with a later-model F-250, so U-Haul will like that just fine. As has been mentioned before, tell them you will be trailering a 1963 Corvette. Load the car facing forward, not backward. You do NOT want to put a convertible on a trailer backwards. The U-Haul trailer accommodates a Corvair facing forward just fine, see the photo. Move the Corvair's spare tire and battery into the trunk of the Corvair. Pick up an extra tie-down strap or two and use it in addition to the too-few that the U-Haul Trailer has.

Safer, easier for a trip of the distance you are going.

I speak from experience. The Corvair in the photo was mine.
Attachments
20190715_195545 r1.jpg
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

I had wondered, and someone else mentioned to me about trailering a convertible backwards. something about the top getting damaged from wind and possibly popping the windshield out? This would not be good. So thanks for your opinion on front facing the car on the trailer. If I go this route I could load the trunk of the car with tools and such to put some extra weight up front.

I did take a few minutes to look up Craigslist in Visalia CA looking to buy a trailer for cheep and resell when I was done. Then there is the cost and time in lic and buying tires and fixing electrical for lights. After a few searches I figured I didn't have the time to try to go that route. I'm still thinking I may find a friend of my dads that has a trailer to borrow. That way it could be brought back by the driver. And thanks for the comment on the brand name of the tires Joel. They have me concerned.

I did pay 117 bucks and had the Tow Bar shipped to Dad's house so its there if I go that route. But... With old tires, the cost of buying tires and wear on bearings it may be better to trailer.
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Update.
Dad said he did replace the rear bearings with new. Also has an extra axle with a new bearing that he used to carry when the Club went for a ride. So the axle bearings should be good for another decade or two. :tu:
Richard

Post by Richard »

>>Dad replaced all wheel bearings 20 years ago and i try to put 200 miles on the car every time i visit. <<

Unless I missed something about the condition of the car, why don't you just drive it to CO.
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Thanks for the reply Richard. You are very correct!

My Dad says I should just drive it. He said if it was him he would drive it across the country as he knows everything about it and what to do in most any situation. He feels its not an issue.
But I have to admit... I'm Scared!
If something was to happen out in the middle of nowhere I'd be screwed! Its not like I can run to the nearest parts store for parts. And then if I had to have it towed somewhere if it broke down I'd be stuck and missing work after a day or two and that could be a major issue.

Trust me, I've thought real hard about this. The car seems to run just fine. I've not had any issues when I've driven it around town, but god forbid if something was to go wrong in the mountains or middle of nowhere.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

I used to rent those HD clamp-on tow bars for trips around L.A. I don't recall damaging the chrome because the tow-bar had thick rubber pads. What I do remember damaging was the bumper itself where the clamps attach. With the right up/down movement such as a driveway apron, the clamps would "peel up" the edges of the bumper causing permanent damage. The other thing that would happen, again with the right up/down movement, the top clamp would detach and when things went back to level the tow bar would be resting on the roll pan under the bumper. Oops. The other caveat involves backing up. It's basically impossible to back up more than say five feet before the car starts steering itself in the wrong direction and causing the hitch to slide on the bumper.
A trailer is a much better way to go, especially one with brakes...
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
American Mel

Post by American Mel »

Okay now, I am failing to see a difference between flat-towing, and driving it, so far as possible tire and bearing failures go.
If your Dad says it is good, why not go ahead and drive it, BUT have someone follow you in a cheap rental car?
You'll need a basic set of tools, that rear wheel bearing your dad always carried, a spare tire, a jack, and a spare fan-belt.
You were planning on stopping every two hundred miles to check it out and let the bearings cool, do that if you drive it also, if you want to, and it makes you feel better about it.
REMEMBER: These cars were MADE for real driving, back in the day.
That means regular commuting, and long trips.
When I moved, I drove my '66 six hundred miles to its new home, with zero problems. (without new front bearings!)
I seriously don't understand why everyone freaks out about driving a Corvair for more than fifty miles.
Owning an older car is an adventure, not a chore.
Quit being fearful. Go grab this bull by the horns and HAVE SOME FUN! :woo:
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Thanks Mel.

It surely is an option. Depending on what I'm taking back with me besides the car. I may not have enough room in the car to haul everything. This is another reason for the pickup. If I was to just "Grow a Pair" :rolling: , it sure would be more fun. I will keep this option open.
American Mel

Post by American Mel »

Alright, try this.
DRIVE the car!
Have the "Pick-up Guy" follow you with a load of your stuff, AND the tow-bar. ("Just in case")
IF she breaks down you have a prepared tow vehicle already on hand.
I forgot to state, That '66 I mentioned earlier?
Yeah, not only was it running on the factory wheel bearings, it was running on its factory engine. (Not a nice rebuild, like your is)
For those who don't believe it, Rex Johnson is familiar with that car and can verify the fact that the engine had never been touched.
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Burning a lot more fuel for the trip but...
This may be a fun thing to do for part of the trip. And if it all goes well, maybe even longer. Plus it would give me more confidence in the car and a good opportunity to put a rear amount of fuel through the carbs and tank as it hasn't been driven for more than an hour at a time in many years.

Thanks Mel!
This does sound like much more fun.

:ty:
whenim64

Post by whenim64 »

American Mel wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:29 pm DRIVE the car!
Have the "Pick-up Guy" follow you with a load of your stuff, AND the tow-bar. ("Just in case")
IF she breaks down you have a prepared tow vehicle already on hand.
This is the right answer. As I have noted previously, I have used a tow bar extensively, and a trailer extensively. But I have also done what American Mel is recommending, and with the car as you describe it, this is the way to go. It will be fun, it will be an adventure, and maybe it will be both!

I am a believer in what I call "Inverse Murphy's Law:" With your F-250 buddy following you with spare parts and the tow bar, nothing will go wrong.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I would be more concerned about the F250 breaking down.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
American Mel

Post by American Mel »

joelsplace wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:33 pm I would be more concerned about the F250 breaking down.
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
SO TRUE ! ! !
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Good one :tu:
:rolling:
Driving the car will happen. Its just hard to beat that kinda logic.
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

If you find an extra front bumper you will for sure not need the tow bar.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer

Return to “Corvair Talk”