Differential code

Anything Corvair related
91blaze

Differential code

Post by 91blaze »

I'm trying to figure out my axle ratio and can't seem to locate the code anywhere. Anyone got a picture if where it's at, mine is covered in crud.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
66Monza140

Re: Differential code

Post by 66Monza140 »

Here's where to look: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?show_page=2

(middle of the page). My '66 was a greasy lump, took some cleaning of ancient grease/oil to find it.
Case R.
1966 Monza 140 coupe
Western Champlain Valley, Vermont
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

It's stamped on the lower left side of the case at the rear just under the axle. Had a photo of my 64 but deleted it, sorry!! You should be able to reach it easy.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

You can count the teeth on the ring gear. Then count the teeth on the pinion gear. Divide the ring gear number by the pinion gear number. Out come is gear ratio.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,27400,180286

Left-click on image to enlarge for better viewing...
Differential Code Location (1965) [3].jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

64powerglide- completely different location on earlies and lates

I did manage to find it thanks to Brad's picture, but it's practically unreadable. "Looks" to be an AA which is a 3.27 although I will check for sure later down the road. The diff is still in the car so it's too much of a pain to count the teeth right now. Thanks for the help guys.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

If I've had my grubby little hands on it you won't want to trust the case stamping for gear ratio anyway. On a standard trans. you can put it in high gear and see how many engine revolution it takes to turn an axle 1 revolution.
Engine
3 1/4 turns =3.27
3 1/2 turns =3.55
not quite 4 turns = 3.89
easy peasy
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:whoa: When I was researching this, I discovered yet another error on the part of the Chevrolet technical writers when the were piecing together the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual...

The illustration below in Section 0, page 0-2 is supposed to point to the location of the differential number. The picture is clearly a photograph of a Late Model differential, showing the left (driver's side) with the throttle linkage visible. Yet the illustration indicates that the differential code is stamped on the LEFT SIDE, when in fact it was stamped on the right side. Also the example shown is labeled "HB612", yet we know that the code "HB" was only used on 1962-1964 EM differentials with a 3.55:1 ratio, and that all 1965 and later differential codes were stamped on the RIGHT SIDE and used code letters starting with the letter "A". SO THE PHOTOGRAPH, WHILE CLEARLY SHOWING A 1965 SUSPENSION CONFIGURATION, POINTED TO THE INCORRECT SIDE AND UTILIZED AN INCORRECT CODE DESIGNATION THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN "AB", INSTEAD OF "HB".

I guess the technical writers failed to do their homework and used 1964 Corvair information associated with a 1965 photograph in the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual!

Left-click on image to enlarge for better viewing...
Differential Code Location (1965) [1].jpg
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 0 - GENERAL INFORMATION AND LUBRICATION.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 0 - GENERAL INFORMATION AND LUBRICATION
(2.94 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Corvair Talk”