Post by roastbeef »

Hi.
So I need to replace the old 175/80/13's on my
700 4dr. Do I replace like for like or go to
185/80's ?
Francesco

Re: New tyres

Post by Francesco »

I own a '66, so it's an LM. However, I went 175/80 because I couldn't find any 185's, and I find them too small. Just my opinion.
1966 Aztec Bronze Turbo Convertible Project (Currently not on the road)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

At this time the ONLY company selling modern DOT automobile tires in the 185/80X13" is Maxxis, or you can go to a specialty tire supplier like Cooker for a classic look. This tire size is also used on some old European cars so the demand is there, but small. Maxxis runs off a lot and waits for them to sell out before doing another lot. So supply is spotty, but they do show up. Contact a dealer or call Clark's Corvair.
See and scroll down http://www.corvair ... urn false;
BE WARNED -- Some ignorant, or dishonest, tire dealers have been selling 185/80X13" TRAILER TIRES to Corvair owners.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

It is becoming more and more evident that 13" automobile tires are rapidly becoming as obsolete as the tires you would fit on a Model T Ford. They can be found, but usually with a very limited selection of tire designs and brands, and somewhat premium prices in a tire size and inventory that caters to car collectors and aficionados who demand an original look and pay premium prices for NOS items, original size tires, etc.

If you are planning on competing in car shows that demand original spec components, continuing to fit 13" tires to Corvairs may make sense. The Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerac ... epage.html, which carries a huge inventory of automobile tire brands and specifications, carries absolutely no 13" automobile tires in 185/80R13. They carry only GOODYEAR MARATHON RADIAL and POWER KING TOWMAX STR, both of which are clearly marked for TRAILER SERVICE ONLY.

For many Corvair owners who simply enjoy driving their Corvairs, upsizing to 14" or greater wheel sizes will open up a world of tire opportunities that generally handle better, look good, provide better wet weather and braking performance, and with tire designs that inherit the best of modern tire technologies.

I would suggest reading and seriously considering the following article, and contemplate the possibility of moving to 14" wheels or larger, and then selecting tires that meet your needs.

Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires

:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”