69 clock install

All Models and Years
davidjenkins

69 clock install

Post by davidjenkins »

when installing a clock is the 69 dash for the first time, do I need to purchase a "clock wiring harness" to make the installation?
notched

Re: 69 clock install

Post by notched »

Yes, The factory install has an orange wire with female spade connector at both ends. The fuse box end goes on to one of the accessory male spades.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Or make one :think:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Be sure to connect the wire to a spade on the fuse panel that is not "accessory". The clock gets constant 12 volts. If it's hooked to the accessory power. The clock will only get 12v when the key is on.
For long storage, disconnect the battery. The clock is a small parasitic load on the battery.

Corventure Dave
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

:think: :idea: Most of the wiring you will need for your clock installation power is possibly already in-place. If you look at the two schematic diagrams below, you will see that the wiring harnesses used in the Corsa and the Monza were only differentiated on the portion of the harness that connected directly to the instrument panel. The top wiring schematic does not show any difference in the wiring between the Corsa and the Monza. But the second wiring diagram does show different connector wiring at the 12-pin multi-connector, with the Monza connector missing several wires.

The top schematic shows a 20 B/OR (20 gauge Black with Orange Stripe) wire routed from a harness junction to the bottom lower-right pin of the connector at the center-right portion of the diagram. On the Corsa, this was the power feed for the clock. The second schematic diagram shows this wire on the Corsa instrument panel (bottom-left pin) continuing through the 12-pin multi-connector and on to the clock. But on the Monza instrument panel there is no wire coming out of the multi-connector in the bottom-left pin. It was left empty.

This would appear to indicate that Corsas and Monzas had identical main wiring harnesses feeding the instrument panels, but the smaller final harness that connected to the instrument panel was different for the Monza, with several wires omitted. Of course, the Corsa line was dropped in 1967, and there is a possibility that with only Monzas and 500s remaining in 1967-1969, the 20 B/OR clock wire was omitted completely. You will just have to examine the wiring harness on your 1969 and see if the 20 B/OR wire is still there on one-half of the connector. If it is there, and you find 12 VDC available at that point, you could pick up your power there to feed the new clock you are installing.

In any case, you can see how the Corsa clock was wired. This is the wiring you would need to duplicate to power your new clock, so that it receives battery power full-time, even with the key OFF.

The fourth diagram shows the location of the instrument panel ground strap. The Monza instrument panel was constructed of molded plastic, so the metal ground strap was essential to ground all of the instruments and lights in the panel. It is important that you ensure that this metal ground strap is properly secured to the metal dashboard frame to provide all of the instruments — including the clock — with a proper ground return for each electrical device.
1965-1969 Corvair Interior Compartment Wiring Diagram
1965-1969 Corvair Interior Compartment Wiring Diagram
1965-1969 Corvair - Instrument Cluster and Body Harness (CORRECTED)
1965-1969 Corvair - Instrument Cluster and Body Harness (CORRECTED)
Wiring Circuit Color Code.jpg
1965-69 Corvair Instrument Panel Detail (Monza)
1965-69 Corvair Instrument Panel Detail (Monza)

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
davidjenkins

Post by davidjenkins »

Thanks all. I have the wiring diagram but was just wondering if there was anything else in the harness that I did not know about, like a small resistor or special plugin at the wiring block. Thanks again.

I own a 69 convert # 3809. Frost Green with matching interior and a white top. The car has been around for a while and I have owned it for a little over a year.

The car is in excellent condition and I am only replacing a none working clock that came with the car with a Clark's rebuild.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

In 65-66 the Monza clock came with the wire to connect it to the fuse box since it was often a dealer installed option.

The wiring diagrams changed after 66 and of course there were no Corsa's after 66. I recall the Monza clock wire was installed in the in the harness as standard on all models, but that's a guess since I don't have access to the diagrams at the moment. Check your 69 shop manual supplement.
davidjenkins

Post by davidjenkins »

I did and it is not shown.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The power wire that feeds the brake light switch at the brake pedal is consistent with all model years and is easy to locate. This wire extends from the same wiring harness junction as the clock power wire and voltage is present there at all times (not switched on or off by the ignition key). You can tap off of the brake light switch power wire at any convenient location to power the clock.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”