Stripped spark plug holes

All Models and Years
Jsr

Stripped spark plug holes

Post by Jsr »

One of the spark plug holes is now stripped and nearing 18mm in diameter, don't know what the PO did to achieve this situation.

What are some options available for repair?
66 Corsa Coupe 140 w/AC
65 Corsa Coupe 140
65 Monza Coupe 110
66vairguy

Re: Stripped spark plug holes

Post by 66vairguy »

A fairly common failure - there are a number of kits and with care you can do it with the head on the engine.

DO NOT USE A HELICOIL. A helicoil is great for repairing normal bolt threads, but a spark plug threaded hole has different properties compared to a normal bolt hole.

See Clark's page http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=173

BTW - the main reason an insert fails is the top of the insert is not installed BELOW the head surface. This causes the spark plug to seat and lock on the top of the insert, not on the head flange as it should and when you remove the sparkplug it will unscrew the insert.

If you are not good with this type of work, get someone experienced to do it.
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

X2 on using time-serts versus heli-coils.
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

I ran into the same issue with my 63 spyder. I had two spark plugs that somebody, some where in the past, had stripped the threads out. Hey....it can happen. I ended up trying each of recommended Clark's methods for repair. They both worked fine.

Within a few short months of making those repairs, I was still fouling and pulling plugs for other major engine related issues. I hated to pull the plugs from where I had made the repairs for fear of having to do them again.

In the end, I had the heads reworked, I had 6 inserts installed. And it's now the way it should be.
Attachments
Corvair Heads.JPG
Jeff Sandor
Prez Cincinnati Corvair Club
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I like the save a thread repair kits as they have serrated top threads that embed themselves in the aluminum when installed properly and they don't come back out, I have used these a lot and have never had one come out :tu:
Attachments
corvair stuff 139.jpg
corvair stuff 136.jpg
corvair stuff 138.jpg
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

Jsr wrote:One of the spark plug holes is now stripped and nearing 18mm in diameter, don't know what the PO did to achieve this situation.
nearing 18mm.................too big for a timesert........your going to need a bigsert or some other oversize insert repair.

-Scott V.
Jsr

Post by Jsr »

Thanks guys for the quick responses.
davemotohead wrote:I like the save a thread repair kits as they have serrated top threads that embed themselves in the aluminum when installed properly and they don't come back out, I have used these a lot and have never had one come out :tu:
DM - thanks for the confirmation, I had used the save-a-thread on one of the other spark plug holes seemed to install rather secure.
Scott V wrote:
Jsr wrote:One of the spark plug holes is now stripped and nearing 18mm in doiameter, don't know what the PO did to achieve this situation.
nearing 18mm.................too big for a timesert........your going to need a bigsert or some other oversize insert repair.

-Scott V.
Scott - that's what I was concerned about the dang size... I was not seeing any large size timeserts... I'll search out bigsert.

Thanks again!
66 Corsa Coupe 140 w/AC
65 Corsa Coupe 140
65 Monza Coupe 110
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

Jsr said: Scott - that's what I was concerned about the dang size... I was not seeing any large size timeserts... I'll search out bigsert.

Big-sert info: http://www.timesert.com/html/bigsert_sparkplug.html
Hopefully you can find a shop nearby that can do it for you, the kit is rather expensive.

Marty Scarr

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”