EDIS Revisited?

All Models and Years
miniman82

Re: EDIS Revisited?

Post by miniman82 »

The stock head temp sender, but you'd have to build a lookup table for it.
Click it!
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

Can Megajolt and the stock gauge share, or does megajolt have to have a separate sensor?
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
72BBNova
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 72BBNova »

I've decided to do this to my Spyder now after reading more about it. I can do it for less then half the price of the MSD box and coil I was looking at and I think it would be a better system.
Jeff
1964 Spyder coupe
1966 Corsa convertible (project, some assembly required)
1972 Nova 496/6spd
1975 Chevy Cheyenne 454 C20 camper special
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

:tu: Just search EDIS 6 on Ebay. The seller (Atomic Jawbreaker) has one up for bids almost every week. He has one listed right now, nobody has bid on it yet.

I ordered the trigger wheel and 2 3" spacers from DIY Autotune and a right angle oil filter adaptor from California Corvairs last night.
'64 Spyder Convertible
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

72BB- you're making the right choice!

Haven't started on your turbo just yet in case you were wondering, but I plan on working it this weekend.
Click it!
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

Just got my EDIS system in the mail. Everything is there and in good condition, with plenty of wire on the connectors for splicing.

The seller has been on Ebay for 15 years and has 100% positive feedback.

Now for the trigger wheel so I can get everything mounted, then it will be time for the Megajolt. :clap:
'64 Spyder Convertible
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

:dontknow: Will I be able to use the stock temp gauge with Megajolt, or do they each need their own sender? :dontknow:
'64 Spyder Convertible
notched

Post by notched »

I do not use a any temperature sensing with Megajolt. I have multiple maps that I can load depending on conditions. If you want temperature sensing you will have to write a lookup table and possibly some code. Megajolt does have the capability, but you will have to look on their message board to see if anyone posted detailed instructions.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Just got off the phone with Jeff, he's basically doing the same stuff I did to my car. When it's all said and done he'll have meth injection (his turbo has a nice bung welded into it for the nozzle), EDIS, and a progressive Weber. It's gonna move RIGHT NOW!

That turbo was clean enough to eat off of, I should be paying HIM for making my job easy! lol
Click it!
triumphcorvair

Post by triumphcorvair »

I've been following this topic for quite some time and I get more and more interested every time I read about it. The only thing that stops me from moving forward with this is putting the crank trigger wheel on the HB. How is the trigger wheel indexed to the hub (I'm assuming that it is). Is it welded or just bolted on?
Darrell McCracken
Huntsville, Texas
notched

Post by notched »

Mine is bolted via two 3/8-16 bolts that thread into the Corvair dampener.The holes in my trigger wheel have been slotted slightly to allow clocking the trigger wheel to get it where I wanted it. Not difficult. My crank sensor is mounted like Nick/miniman's on a steel plate bolted to the top of the right side damper door. It has proved to be a very solid mounting position. I welded 2 small nuts to the bottom side so that changing the belt requires slight loosening of the bolts to slide the sensor plate over a tad.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
Melb-Mike

Post by Melb-Mike »

Danny Joe wrote::tu: Just search EDIS 6 on Ebay. The seller (Atomic Jawbreaker) has one up for bids almost every week. He has one listed right now, nobody has bid on it yet.

I ordered the trigger wheel and 2 3" spacers from DIY Autotune and a right angle oil filter adaptor from California Corvairs last night.
I bid and got the EDIS-6 from him, just came in yesterday. AND I also got the right angle adapter from California Corvairs fo rthe filter, who is cheaper than the units on Ebay. I now need the box from Autosport.
Prior Corvair owner 30+ years ago
Just acquired 64 Spyder, 66 & 65 Corsa,
adding to 69 Corvette BB, 67 GTO,
2015 Corvette Z06,
04 996TT Porsche,
04 Caterham Super 7
just sold 87 Porsche 930 Turbo (Thank God)
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

again, i know megajolt works great, however you can use MEGASQUIRT as an EDIS controller as well, and an assemebled ms1 v2.2 kit is about the same price as a megajolt box

However if you ever want to do fueling upgrades in the future Megasquirt can run fueling as well as ignition. This makes it a better long term investment

the megajolt system you want, the one with the map sensor, and a good rev limit is 214$. Whereas Megasquirt, which has all of these fetures is 269$ that extra 50$ gets you a higher resolution tuning grid, and a TON more capability's later down the line, even if all you want to do is use MS to control a relay, which can turn on electric fans, it has just paid for itself!!! never mind you want to cross over to fuel injection later on.

see link below

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... -p-34.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

Miniman may know the answer to this, If not him somebody else Does EDIS 6, and EDIS 4 broadcast the same tach output signal from Pin 2?

i know that when using a traditional coil system changing amount of cylenders = changing tach input, i am not sure if this is also the case for EDIS's output
Last edited by MikeDTuning on Sat May 02, 2015 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

EDIS 4 runs a 4-cylinder tach, EDIS 6 will run a 6-cylinder tach. If you have a universal tach with selectable cylinder count, it doesn't much matter. I think I remember reading somewhere that it shoots out a pulse every time it fires a coil.
Click it!
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

nick - do you have any ignition map files you can share for the MJLT? I looked through your posts on autosports wiki but didn't run across anything but the turbo profile.

or... do you or any readers have a source to self-educate about ignition maps and how to set them up.
1966 Corsa Coupe

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”