Carb issues on my 1960

All Models and Years
OsOdeDIABLO

Carb issues on my 1960

Post by OsOdeDIABLO »

Ok fellas, i just rebuilt my carbs on my 1960. Followed my repair manual , adjusted and started to sync the carbs. Idles fine, no dead spot on rev up, but when I place the sync tool on top of the driver side carb the idle goes up. no changes when I place tool on top of the passenger carb. I sprayed carb cleaner around the bases and balance tube to check for an intake leak but found non. Any ideas on whats going on and how to fix? thanks for the help, -Jimmy- :helpsos:
NOMADSC.C.
1960 CORVAIR
cad-kid

Re: Carb issues on my 1960

Post by cad-kid »

What happens when you place the palm of your hand on one side or the other? Speed up, slow down, or nothing (LH carb vs RH carb)
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
OsOdeDIABLO

Post by OsOdeDIABLO »

placed my hand over the driver side carb and fuel would syphon out of the out of the venturi. I took it for a drive and drove it hard, pulled it back in the shop and the idle cicuit started working again. The best i can figure is that i had something blocking the idle air bleed. Drove it home yesterday from my shop and it drove great, hasn't run this good in years. -Jimmy-
NOMADSC.C.
1960 CORVAIR
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

:tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

Oh, Oh, that carb has the "dribbles" ie flooding, Garydup and myself have been having the same problem from time to time on my EM BIG BORE 3.2lt engine. The Carbs (all four) were painstakingly rebuilt to the enth degree by Garydup, BUT it does not do it all the time. My carbs (two primaries) seem to be overly sensitive to dribbling. I have adjusted the carb balancer orifice to max size and if the car is not perfectly level the rh carb starts dribbling the minute you place the carb balancer on the carb. Revs go up a bit and returns to normal in seconds after you remove the carb balancer. If you are quick enough you can see the dribbling of fuel from the cluster nozzle. I have now fitted an electric fuel pump, fitted the spring kit to the floats and now fitted a return line to the tank, problem of flooding has greatly decreased but the dribbling of the rh carb when placing the Carb balancer is now re occuring????????why???????? any further thoughts comments advice will be great and gladly tried :dontknow:
WHY DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE THAN A CORVAIR :emfront:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'61 4dr 700 BIG BORE 3.2lt
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

I had painstakingly rebuilt the carbs on my 63, did all the adjustments and installed them. It was night and day on performance, but after a couple of weeks I too had a problem with the dribbles. I looked down the throat when the car was running and could see fuel seeping in when the car was idling and even when on hi rpm the throat stayed wet. Upon disassembly I discovered that in my efforts to make sure my carb was on tight I had over tightened the bolt that goes through the carb and actually caused the top gasket to crush out, allowing fuel to be syphoned in when the car was running.
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
OsOdeDIABLO

Post by OsOdeDIABLO »

wbabst wrote:I had painstakingly rebuilt the carbs on my 63, did all the adjustments and installed them. It was night and day on performance, but after a couple of weeks I too had a problem with the dribbles. I looked down the throat when the car was running and could see fuel seeping in when the car was idling and even when on hi rpm the throat stayed wet. Upon disassembly I discovered that in my efforts to make sure my carb was on tight I had over tightened the bolt that goes through the carb and actually caused the top gasket to crush out, allowing fuel to be syphoned in when the car was running.
Wow, i never thought of that. after driving mine it cleared up, i think i had something clogging the idle port. From now on I will keep in mind how tight i make that nut. -Jimmy-
NOMADSC.C.
1960 CORVAIR
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

Oh No :whoa: I think that is what I might have done. Now that I have had a closer look it appears that the carb "lid" is slightly hollow :eek: Wonder what the gasket looks like :dontknow: will have a look over the weekend. Thanks so much for pointing that out, it is these small yet so important things that can drive one to drink :doh: .
WHY DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE THAN A CORVAIR :emfront:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'61 4dr 700 BIG BORE 3.2lt
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
jojonuns

Post by jojonuns »

:doh: I too have a carb related issue on my 1963 Monza 900, 4-speed manual transmission. I bought the car a couple of months ago and the guy that I bought it from said he had rebuilt the carburetors as well as the engine, tranny and pretty much most of the other parts of the car. It wasn't running well when I got it and I manually adjusted the carburetors just by sound. I got the car running and had some fun driving it around the neighborhood for about a month. Then I decided to add electronic ignition, check the timing and try to properly synchronize the carbs. With the help of forum members I managed to get the Pertronix installed and operational. But when I checked the timing, I found that it was at around 21 degrees Past TDC. After much fidgeting I realized that the only way to keep the engine running was to keep it set Past TDC by about 21degrees.

This had/has me worried because I know it can't be right. So I went through the initial set up for the carbs by re-adjusting all of the settings and gaps. I removed the spark plugs, sanded them and re-gapped them. I checked for any loose connections on the carbs and even replaced some clips. I removed the vacuum line from the carb and stuck a pencil in the hose, but that was a dud. I couldn't even start it. I am getting the jitters cause I want to drive the car around the neighborhood, but it scares me to think that I might create some major damage to the engine. Does this sound like a carburetor problem or something else? :doh:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”