4 Carb Linkage setup HELP!!!

All Models and Years
bghandyman

4 Carb Linkage setup HELP!!!

Post by bghandyman »

Rebuit all 4 carbs on the car. Now have them all installed, and linkage all on. Primarys seem to operate well but its my secondaries that aren't so good. First they don't seem to have any spring return on the throttle. Next not sure how and when that lock out trip lever works. If any one could maybe some close up pics would help. Thank you :banghead:
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 4 Carb Linkage setup HELP!!!

Post by 4carbcorvair »

What year? 65's are different from 66 up.

The lock-out lever works by the way of the choke. When the choke opens up, it rotates the lock-out to allow the secondaries to open. Prevents too much air/fuel on a cold engine.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
bghandyman

Post by bghandyman »

'69 monza, But what about the secondaries throttle return. Would that be the accelerator pump?
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Yes it would be the accelerator pump BUT do not use the rubber cups on them as they will stick and prevent the secondaries from opening. (I am going off of my 65 though).
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bghandyman

Post by bghandyman »

Not sure I understand not useing the rubber cups. You don't need them, then why were they in there when I rebuilt the carbs? Also my next problem is they keep leaking from the carb gasket. Tried to tighten them down all around the carb but afraid to over tighten and stip out the aluminum.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Not sure, but according to a guy at Clarks the secondaries should not have the cups on the accelerator pumps.

try coating the gaskets with a little bit of oil.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

All carb kits are for either primary or secondary carbs. The accelerator pump spring serves a return function in both primary and secondary cartbs. The secondary carb is not drilled for an accelerator pump to pump anything any where so you simply remove the rubber plunger from the new pump unit before you install it (In many cases you really dont need the new part).

Concerning leaking around the carb gasket. I assume you are speaking of the top cover gasket. Be absolutely sure that both carb mating surfaces are spotless (no old gasket material), look also for burrs that might interfere with sealing and dress them if needed. The screws should be pretty tight, a strong twist with a large flat blade screwdriver. I have never had any trouble with gaskets from Clark's minor or major kits sealing unless there is an issue with the carb.

Carbs that have been overtightened (when mounting to the car) can leak. The area of the carb top where the centered carb mounting stud comes through should be pretty darn flat. Often over the years people overtighten the carbs depressing the carb top with the mounting nut. This can distort the carb top making it less likely to seal. (It can actually distort it bad enough to cause float binding.....I have actually seen this an extreme case).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

On your carb leaking at the top gasket; I have notice that If I set the floats too high, they will always leak.
I would stop tightening and reset your floats, a little lower.
Scott is exactly correct the cups in the secondaries are not used but the accelerator pumps (minus the cups) have to be there! It becomes the secondary's throttle return spring. That is why the springs that are installed in the well are different than the ones in the primaries.
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

rfw66, I was told by our club guru to set my floats so they stop at a slight downward angle (a little lower than the manual says to). Now I know why. Thanks.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bghandyman

Post by bghandyman »

Thanks for all the help and info. I bought the carb kits from Underground and their instructions say upper level at 1-1/16 " and lowwer level at 1-13/16" so thats what I did. Does this sound right?
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Yes that sounds about right.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Yup 69 shop manual says 1 1/16 for float level adn 1 9/16 for drop. If they are at 1 1/16 inches and you have leakage and think maybe they are over flowing set at 1 3/32- 1 1/8 instead see if it helps. I usually set 1/32 inch extra.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”