gas in oil

All Models and Years
tamvette68

gas in oil

Post by tamvette68 »

Just tuned up the 61 with new plugs, points, etc., test drove and lots of bluish smoke is coming from the exhaust. Checked the oil dipstick and lots of gas present (smell). I researched the forum and cannot find anything to help a novice newbie. My left carb has plenty fluid around the base sitting on the engine. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what's next?? THANKS
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: gas in oil

Post by davemotohead »

3 things,,a bad fuel pump diaphragm will pump gas into the crank case,,BAD! A fuel pump with to High of pressure will push the fuel inlet valve in the carb open flooding the engine with fuel,,should be around 2-4 PSI for the pump, A mis-adjusted float level in the carbs could be flooding the engine with fuel, I would check things in that order, BUT CHANGE THE OIL!!! Gas in your oil will wash out your bearings and ruin your engine, Fix it before you run it any more! :tu:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: Most likely a bad fuel pump that is filling your crankcase with gasoline. A crankcase explosion if the gasoline fumes detonate would not be a good thing! Bluish smoke is usually an indicator of oil burning in the combustion chamber. If your crankcase is filling with gasoline, the oil/gasoline diluted mixture is likely flooding the base of the pistons and overwhelming the piston rings, allowing the fuel/oil mix into the combustion chambers and producing the bluish smoke from the tailpipe.

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE OR ATTEMPT TO START IT UNTIL THE CRANKCASE HAS BEEN DRAINED AND REFILLED WITH FRESH OIL (NEW OIL FILTER TOO!) The source of the fuel contamination must be confirmed and fixed.

Corvair fuel pumps are unique to Corvairs only. A failed fuel pump is a "show stopper" and usually an easy fix in a roadside repair — if you have a new pump. Many owners keep a spares kit in the trunk, and include a fuel pump as one of the emergency spares. If you have a bad pump, you may want to order two and keep one in the trunk as a spare.

Your Corvair is a 1961. If the fuel pump is the original, you should be aware that the design of the pump changed in 1962. The new design looks nearly identical to the early pump (which is no longer available). if you replace the pump, you must check the push rod. If you have an original pump and push rod, both the pump AND the push rod must be changed. (See below)...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=65

Part number C3403: NON-GM FUEL PUMP-62-69 WILL FIT 60-61 IF ORDER C259 ROD

Weight: 2 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 65
Price:
1 - 1 $59.10
2+ $57.35

Part number C259: 62-69 FUEL PUMP ROD-REPRO (3 13/16") REBUILT FUEL PUMP 60-61=CX1617- ROD=C7256

Weight: 0 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 11(28),65
Price: $19.05

I have attached a copy of the fuel section of the 1961 Shop Manual. The fuel pump is covered starting on page 9-17. Rebuild kits are not available. If your pump has failed it will need to be replaced.
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 9 - Fuel & Exhaust Systems.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 9 - Fuel & Exhaust Systems
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
tamvette68

Post by tamvette68 »

thanks Brad...I'm going to order a new pump today from Clarks
MBlaster1

Post by MBlaster1 »

You can buy the fuel pump at a few of the Auto part stores and don't have to wait for Clarks to Ship. I know we should support Clarks but this way you can get to work on it faster.
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: But not if your 1961 Corvair has the original fuel pump!

If you have the original 1961 pump, you will need to replace the early push rod with the later design to match the replacement fuel pump. You may be able to find a fuel pump locally, but it is unlikely that local auto parts stores will have a Corvair fuel pump in stock in the store inventory (they don't like to stock items that are in low demand). Quite often there is at least a one-day delay while they special order the item for shipment from their supporting warehouse. They will NOT have the push rod, if needed!

If you need a push rod, one or more fuel pumps, one or more oil filters, etc. you can save money with Clark's by consolidating all of the items you need in a single shipment. (Keeping Clark's business healthy by supporting them keeps us all in business with our Corvairs! Imagine what it would be like trying to maintain or restore a Corvair without them!!)
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
tamvette68

Post by tamvette68 »

I don't mind waiting on Clarks, I have plenty to do on the car anyway. I've yet to drive it and it's going on two months. Money and patience are getting shorter.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”