Spark plug hard insert / spark plug replacement

All Models and Years
firstgencamarojunkie

Spark plug hard insert / spark plug replacement

Post by firstgencamarojunkie »

I got the '65 Corsa fired up this weekend - but - not without incident. I put in electronic ignition, 40k coil, and started to replace the plugs. Five of them worked out just fine - but - the sixth one came out and looked "odd" - finally figured out that the plug had pulled out a hard insert. While the engine runs, it's obvious that the previous owner had not replaced that plug in some time (probably for the same reason) and the plug is pretty much gone. I talked w/ my local machine shop - brought in the plug - and they guy was pretty much "doom and gloom" - need a new head. So let me throw it out there - the engine runs - but - the plug is in pretty bad shape. What kind of options do I have? Thanks in advance - Andy.
Jerry Whitt

Re: Spark plug hard insert / spark plug replacement

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Most auto parts stores have a kit that will replace the damaged threads with a sleeve. Several brands available. Some come with the special tool to cut oversize threads into the head, and then an installation tool to put in the sleeve.

Not a fun job, but can be done without pulling the head. If the plug involved is next to a carburetor, pulling the carb will give a little more working room.

Some people worry about thread shavings getting into the combustion cylinder. As the shavings are aluminum, probably wont cause much of a problem and will usually just blow out the exhaust. While cutting oversize threads, heavy grease on the tool will catch most of the thread filings.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”