Heater ductwork for 1964 convertible

All Models and Years
adowns

Heater ductwork for 1964 convertible

Post by adowns »

back seat.jpg
I recently purchased a 1964 Corvair convertible that is missing the ductwork that goes under the back seat.

1. Is the ductwork the same for coupes and sedans and my convertible? Would these parts currently on eBay fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Chevy-Corv ... 86&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. What additional clamps and hoses from Clark's Corvair Parts would I need?

3. What about the missing black plastic part on the driver's side to match the one present on the passenger side?

4. What about the little grills where the heat exits into the rear seat area? What are these called?

Thank you for any advice offered.

Alan
Nickshu

Re: Heater ductwork for 1964 convertible

Post by Nickshu »

No those won't work. The 63-64 style were different. They use an oval hose from the hole at the top (heater box outlet) down to the floorpan where it connects to a plastic "junction box". I believe this part was the same on both coupes/sedans/convertibles, however the hose going into the rocker panel from here was convertible specific.

Clark's sells all the hoses (reproduction/new) but the plastic junction box you will have to find somewhere. Call Clarks (used), Calif Corvair, or Corvair ranch.

I have attached a photo below of the correct '64 setup on a convertible:

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
adowns

Post by adowns »

Nick, this picture is exactly what I needed. Now I'll start looking at the used parts dealers for what I need.

Thanks again for your help.

Alan
junkman

Post by junkman »

You also might consider searching for a reasonably priced parts car. This is the first thing that I would consider, if I knew that I needed a lot of parts to complete my car. Buying parts a la carte can become very expensive when you figure in the cost of shipping. Buying a parts car can give you many of the needed parts, along with the correct mounting hardware that is so often needed. After you finish picking the parts car for all the needed parts, you can either sell it for scrap, sell it to someone else that might need the remainder of the parts, or put it into the back 40 (assuming that you have lots of land), and keep it for the time that you need something else.
I deal with reasonable people reasonably, and unreasonable people, not at all!
adowns

Post by adowns »

Junkman, having a parts car does make sense. However I live in a city suburb and it was a stretch getting one extra non-running car into my driveway so I'm unable to go that route. I have come to the realization that the most cost-effective way of getting a nice, running older vehicle is to get one that someone else has done extensive work on and then lost interest. After I get this one running and drivable I will probably sell it and start again on a coupe or sedan. Most convertibles have too much water damage and need a lot of $ of weatherstripping and top to make them tight again.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”