1966 Corvair Won't Start

All Models and Years
Francesco

1966 Corvair Won't Start

Post by Francesco »

Hello,
Today was the day I was going to start my car. First thing was the fuel pump wasn't working, okay no problem. Replaced the fuel pump and started getting fuel. Next problem was the carb fuel line leaked. Got that sorted. Then, it just wouldn't start. Figured out that the entire left bank was reading low compression. Any idea what that could be? Also, the carburetor is blowing air out of it. Car is a 1966 turbo. Carter YH. Whole right side reading 120 compression, left side is 40-60. Any ideas?
1966 Aztec Bronze Turbo Convertible Project (Currently not on the road)
Francesco

Re: 1966 Corvair Won't Start

Post by Francesco »

Forgot one thing. I've flipped the distributor, put it back in, double checked, primed the carb, put fuel in the cylinders, but it doesn't even sound like it wants to start. I had this engine running before I dropped it, and never broken the block up it can't be the cam gear or timing chain. The carb is definitely getting fuel, but it doesn't get through the turbo and into the engine. I've tried advancing timing and retarding it as well. I loosened the valves a bit and the compression did not increase AFAIK. Really stumped, as well as a friend who's owned Corvairs since he was 16(he's 50). Had the carb professionally rebuilt by the carbmeister. The air just blows out the carb instead of sucking fuel I believe but I have no idea where to go from here.
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

You have done a compression test. The test results are poor. Sometimes, you just have to accept that the results indicate a major problem.

Next test after a compression test is a leak down test. Air pressure is piped thru the spark plug hole thru a special gauge, while each piston is on compression stroke, and near top dead center. In theory, 10 percent leakage would be acceptable.

In your case, the results will likely be much higher. If there is a high pitched noise thru the carburetor, and indication of leaking intake valve
Air noise thru the exhaust, leaking exhaust valve. Air noise at oil filler, likely a damaged ring.

As three cylinders are low, and all on the same side, a question arises. What could cause all three to have these symptoms? What central item could do this?

One cause comes to mind. Over heating of one side. Blocked air flow? ????

Do the leak down test and let us know the results.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Jerry Whitt wrote:You have done a compression test. The test results are poor. Sometimes, you just have to accept that the results indicate a major problem.
What could have gone wrong? I didn't take the engine apart enough to mess with that stuff.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Are you implying the head may be warped from possible overheating? How could I have started it before? Sorry if something I say has an obvious answer, this is my first project car.
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Your note saying air blows out of the carburetor, and that there is poor compression indicates major mechanical problems.

A leak down test will help you determine what is wrong. Speculation is a waste of time.

Observe, test and then diagnose.

With the information given, major repairs are indicated. A leak down test can confirm or reject that thought.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Okay, so this week I was able to get the engine started! I backed off the valves a half turn and it started! Still has one cylinder with low compression - not sure what to do about that yet. I'm going to finish everything underneath and get it outside then worry about it. Does anyone have a diagram for the throttle? Also I need to bend a return line. Is there any sort of measurements of bending it, or do I just do it all myself? Thanks for all the help!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”