cleaning headlight bezels

All Models and Years
indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

cleaning headlight bezels

Post by indianalakewood1961 »

Is there a good product to make headlight bezels shine again, I have a couple that have saw better days and look cloudy and not any shine at all. Does anyone know of a general household product that would do the same? Another question... How do you remove the letters and emblems on these cars, I am getting ready to have my Monza conv painted next week and the painter told me if I remove the chrome he will knock off 150.00

Thanks
James
MonzaDave

Re: cleaning headlight bezels

Post by MonzaDave »

You'll first have to remove the anodizing on the bezels. The old style Easy-Off oven cleaner is reputed to work, or there are commercial products available. Next, remove any dents and dings -- you may have to do some sanding on the removed dents and dings using progressively finer sandpaper (I usually end up with 1200 or 1600). Then give them a good polish -- a Mother's Powerball will work. Finally -- if you don't want to be polishing them all the time, clear coat them.

Letters and emblems will vary. What year? Some push on, others are held on by fasteners on the back. None are glued on (at least they weren't from the factory). If you're removing the stainless trim, polish it while you have it off -- it will make a big difference in the overall look of the car.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”