Strong Gas smell from engine compartment

All Models and Years
Bogey

Strong Gas smell from engine compartment

Post by Bogey »

I am still inexperienced with mechanics, but learning one day at a time. Owned vair for one month now, and have always smelled gas in my garage since parking the car in there. I thought maybe it was a tank leak, or just the smell from an old car, never found any gas on the floor in the mornings either. Today, i tried opening the engine lid BEFORE opening the garage door, and got a big whiff of gas. This seems bad, how should i start to tackle this?

Thanks,
Ed.
Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
1965 Monza Convertible, 110hp, PG
Owner since August 2013.
Nickshu

Re: Strong Gas smell from engine compartment

Post by Nickshu »

Any rubber fuel line could have broken down and be leaking. Any hardline junction could be leaking. Does the car run? If you can generate fuel pressure it will be easier to find leaks, but carefully as no one wants to start a fire! Keep an extinguisher handy. Halon is best b/c it does not corrode aluminum.

In my case the fuel smell was coming from the fuel tank, fuel filler rubber hose connection had rotted away allowing gas to evaporate. Sounds like yours is in the engine bay though.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Bogey

Post by Bogey »

The car does run decent, but it does idle a bit rough, both in neutral and drive. Here are some pictures of my engine bay and the lines. I did check my gas filler and i do smell a little gas there. The rubber there feels a little stiff, but fully there, not rotted or broken.

Not sure how to test for leaks. I dont see any visible leakage.
Attachments
Engine bay
Engine bay
Fuel pump area
Fuel pump area
Left carb - driver side
Left carb - driver side
Right carb
Right carb
Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013.
Bogey

Post by Bogey »

Not sure i am still smelling strong gas... but, While idling the car today, after letting it warm up, i was looking at the engine and noticed something that looks like steam. I see it coming from the fuel pump, like a pinhole spot on the side at the gasket.

Noob question- is that an issue or is that some sort of vent? :dontknow:
Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013.
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Any venting would be above the diaphragm so any fuel coming out would be a hole in it. Have seen posts about them leaking.

... What's the saying?.. Where there's smoke there's fire... You're probably on to something.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Saw your other post. Crankcase vent clogged is another possibility.
Nick

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”