SBC up Front Conversion

All Models and Years
LowrideCorvair

SBC up Front Conversion

Post by LowrideCorvair »

Hey guys! Thanks for having me on here, im new to this forum but not new to the car market. Im here to get info on what are some of the pros and cons and maybe get info on what would some of you experience seasoned Corvair guys do with this situation.

I just recently purchased a 1965 Corvair Monza Two Door Convertible. I have been reading alot about engine swaps etc from the mid engine stand point but nothing from the RWD perspective. Is it that hard to achieve? I own a shop with all the tools needed experience to get it done but am weighing out options here and trying to not modify the exterior of this car as much as possible. I would like to stuff this with a 350 SBC engine that would be a streetable car that would get that WOW effect when I pop the hood, im also trying to do adjustable suspension on it like an air ride or hydraulic system. Im wondering what I would need to know to do the engine swap this way properly. I hear purchasing a front wheel drive subframe is the best way but or building a complete new subframe etc to support the weight and attachment points for the SBC.

Could someone give me some direction on this? My only other option is to purchase a 140 Engine and keep it a mid engine car without having to heavily modify. You guys tell me what you think and thank you for the input!
"Believe in what you do" never give up and stay on the path!
http://www.automotivepaintbodyworks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: SBC up Front Conversion

Post by davemotohead »

Welcome! but your confusing me? a stock corvair has the engine in the rear,then we have the mid V-8 with the engine in the back seat,then the front engine V-8 with the engine up front,then there are the mid conversion with a front wheel drive car set up a few have done,what exactly are you wanting?
LowrideCorvair

Post by LowrideCorvair »

Dave im sorry, im looking to do the V8 at the front of the Corvair running a regular driveline shaft like your Gbody cars etc. I have heard that doing it this way is way to complicated but im not sure just trying to get the info from the Corvair masters here. LOL
http://www.automotivepaintbodyworks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

You know Putting a engine in the front of a corvair is strictly forbiden and against the laws of Nature! :doh: Think the best ones I have seen like this were a corvair body mounted on a front engined car frame ,like S-10 truck or monte carlo/GN type frame, if you want Fast/good handeling you cant beat a mid V-8 :tu:
Attachments
corvairv8zr7.jpg
corvair stuff 069.jpg
LowrideCorvair

Post by LowrideCorvair »

Dave thats awesome exactly what I was thinking but dont want to put the body on another chasis. Now that im looking at this photo you posted and the work required to put this body on that frame just isnt worth it for what im doing with this car. And mid engine V8 is hot, noisy and once again pointless in a convertible aspect especially not being used for racing purposes. I guess this topic is bust already! LOL

Now im thinking maybe just get a good 140 and make it all pretty and run good and im all set? Anyone else wanna chime in before I destroy this topic I just started like 20mins ago. LOL

Thanks Dave for the info this red Corvair is sweet!
killfront

Post by killfront »

I'm planning on doing a front mounted v8 on my 68 corvair I have seen many ways of how to do it if you have time knowledge and good welding skills it can be done it will just take some time

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Keith Weller's V8 Corvair
Keith Weller's V8 Corvair
keith_weller_corvair_left_front_reduced.jpg (161.85 KiB) Viewed 2852 times
If you are a member of CORSA, log on to the CORSA website at www.corvair.org and download the January 2003 issue of the CORSA Communique magazine. Go to Page 9 and there you will see a two-page article I wrote about Keith Weller's front-engine Corvair Corsa. It tells how Keith constructed his car. It's a front-engine rear-wheel-drive Corvair with a 350 Chevy V8, Turbo-hydramatic transmission, and leaf-spring rear suspension, all within the basic Corvair unit-body. Keith still has the car and shows it on occasion.
killfront

Post by killfront »

I tried looking for it I can't seem to find it its hard to navigate there website on a phone I'll have to check it out when I get to my computer do you know what it will be under

Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Hi Mr. Killfront -

If you are not a member of CORSA, you'll never find the link to the article. The archives are only available to CORSA members.

But if you are a CORSA member, go to www.corvair.org and log-in using your username and password. Then, using the navigation menu on the left side of the screen, click on "Publications", then "Publication Archives", then "Communiques (PDF) - 1978-Present". You'll be able to find a link to the January 2003 issue of the CORSA Communique there, under "Volume 25 - 2003".

If you are a CORSA member but don't have a username and password for the website, call CORSA's Executive Secretary, Paul Bergstrom. He can set you up. Here's the phone number: 630/403-5010

Yes, you are correct - the CORSA website is hard to navigate when you're using an iPhone. We've packed a lot of information on the pages!

If all else fails, send a private message to me and I'll help you.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The Corvair LM convertible body is a bit flimsy so you'll probably have to put a full frame under it like others have done.

Or just go buy a Camaro to fix up. It will be worth a lot more.
killfront

Post by killfront »

I'm gunna put a full gbody frame under it ...I'm not a camaro fan I wanted this car just because you don't see them around here in Ontario at all that and I wanna make a sleeper lmao

cooterr

Post by cooterr »

Just another unwanted opinion but putting a front engine and frame on a corvair is just a camaro wannabe, no longer corvair.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”