Parked on small grade and smoked

All Models and Years
new mexico vair

Parked on small grade and smoked

Post by new mexico vair »

i parked on a small grade at my girl friends house with the rear end slightly down hill and the right bank smoked a little for about three miles. I was just wondering if this is a normal occurance. The reason i asked is A) I am always paranoid and B) I am a firm believer if the oil is changed regularly and (i use T6) an engine can last forever. I think my friend THE Richard Finch says one of his Corvairs has almost a million miles on it and has never been overhauled. I remember one time I parked sideways for a while and the down hill bank of cylinders smoked but that made sense sort of like the old BMW Boxers used to when parked on their kick stand but this was a new one wondering if anyone has had the same thing happen? Thanks
1964 Monza Corvair
Bobby65

Re: Parked on small grade and smoked

Post by Bobby65 »

this has happened on my turbo when i sit on an incline, with the rear slanted down
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Happens on most opposed engines, VW included. It's normal.
Click it!
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I park on flat ground,,has not happend to me in a million miles! :neener:
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

It could be a sign of a failing valve seat or guide but really isn't anything to be alarmed about .
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
mart

Post by mart »

I suspect that parking on an incline would alter the oil level so that it is able to overflow into the lowest cylinder, enabling it to very slightly creep past the piston rings when engine is stopped. It only takes a very small amount of oil to produce what looks like large amounts of smoke :my02:
60vair

Post by 60vair »

my 67 randomly blows large cloud of blue smoke. you can go for month with nothing then boom there it is.
new mexico vair

Ok so I won't worry. But Kev-UNSAFE really.....why would you want to say failing valve seat or guide? with a 140 my biggest fear are the valve seats, (don' freak me out its Sunday) I figure if it never overheats they will never pop out or what ever they do.........But yeah she is really running good right now i got her tuned perfectly. The other day she raced on idle for some reason but I openned the trunk and kicked the throttle down manually and i haven't had any trouble since. I guess they're gonna have quirks being fifty years old and all.....
1964 Monza Corvair
new mexico vair

awe man! Now its smoking Intermittently and one time a big cloud. Does that mean valve seat or guide? I wouldn't think its bad rings because I am pretty good about oil unless one broke. Any ideas on the procedure.....
1964 Monza Corvair
larry202br

Post by larry202br »

I'd start by checking the compression. If it's a seat, the compression will be low.
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

my corvair smokes intermittantly, but it runs good so i don't worry, as long as your car runs good and only smokes intermittantly i wouldnt worry, just enjoy the car
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
new mexico vair

Thanks a bunch. Always helpful. It runs great but it just started this. I drove it today and it didn't do it. So i will take a closer look and let you know. I will check the compression though readings i notice can be all over the map. I think it is the nature of the aluminum engine.
1964 Monza Corvair
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Its 50+ years old! the fact it is still on the road and your still enjoying it is a +! a Puff of smoke now and then is almost normal for these old cars! Worry about it when its a constant smoke screen!
new mexico vair

That sounds cool to me. It has been a strong engine. I think I over think things way to much. But I have to say that puff of smoke was a bit more than what i have experienced in the past. I guess part of the problem is i don't have that great of a place to work on it and many times I feel its not fair to the Corvair. So, yeah, I worry a bit because I would hate to tear it down to replace a guiide or more. part of it is that my dad was an automatic transmission man and wouldn't even work in a shop if the wind blew to hard...seriously. But he always liked Corvairs and said about them and any car really, "If you keep it full of oil they don't break." So with that I always get a bit crazy about maintenance and am a little surprised when problems arise but I appreciate the reality check that we are driving some old cars here. I know i am sort of rambling but i had a 64 with a 110 in it 20 years ago and i ran Castrol 20-50 and put a bunch of miles on that car that was cherry and it had a lifter noise for many many miles and it never gave me any problems whatsever. But its wierd to say that that car was twenty years newer and i should keep that in mind. Maybe to much reading about 140's valve seats and flat tappets etc etc instead of just driving it!!!
1964 Monza Corvair
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Sorry - I meant to say guides or seals -- not valve seats .

If it's the seal you can replace without removing the head.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
new mexico vair

If it was the seal wouldn't it just do it on start-up?
1964 Monza Corvair

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”