Lost my key of my corvair 1963 how do I open the trunk?

All Models and Years
jaime

Lost my key of my corvair 1963 how do I open the trunk?

Post by jaime »

Hi guys, how can I open up my trunk without calling a lock smith? The trunk have a bit gap. Thanks.
rjgasco

Re: Lost my key of my corvair 1963 how do I open the trunk?

Post by rjgasco »

I know the key to my '65 works on my '64 trunk. have any other corvair keys laying around?
jaime

Post by jaime »

rjgasco wrote:I know the key to my '65 works on my '64 trunk. have any other corvair keys laying around?
No :doh: I lost it when I was living at another town.
Eurobilly

Post by Eurobilly »

This happened to me once! Just remove one of the headlights from the outside. Then you have access to the latch. I unbolted it but you might be able to turn the back of the lock. Good luck.
~Bill
'65 Corsa Turbo
'61 Greenbrier 8 Door
Adams, NY
jaime

Post by jaime »

Eurobilly wrote:This happened to me once! Just remove one of the headlights from the outside. Then you have access to the latch. I unbolted it but you might be able to turn the back of the lock. Good luck.
Okay I'll try that maybe tomarrow. Hope it's easy. Is there a set of locks for trunk, door handle and ignition as a set that is for sale at a corvair stores?
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

12-gauge shotgun... should fix that situation... or if it's like my 62.. the nose trim is gone and you just use a big flat screwdriver :)
1966 Corsa Coupe
jaime

Post by jaime »

cvair4life wrote:12-gauge shotgun... should fix that situation... or if it's like my 62.. the nose trim is gone and you just use a big flat screwdriver :)
May I use you're 12 gauge shotgun? :) I already dropped my tank. :assault:
Kregb

Post by Kregb »

Isn't the trunk lock the same key as the glove box. Take the glove box lock to a lock smith and get a new key (before you use the 12 gauge anyway). Ignition should be the same as the door. Now none of this information is of any value if the keys are locked in the car.
jaime

Post by jaime »

Kregb wrote:Isn't the trunk lock the same key as the glove box. Take the glove box lock to a lock smith and get a new key (before you use the 12 gauge anyway). Ignition should be the same as the door. Now none of this information is of any value if the keys are locked in the car.
I wasn't gonna use a 12 guage gun it was a joke. LOL The key I used for ignition is the same as the trunk. And so might be same key for glove and door? The other guy that said I can take of the lights and unbolt the inside of the latch is not right. And does not sound right.
jaime

Post by jaime »

Eurobilly wrote:This happened to me once! Just remove one of the headlights from the outside. Then you have access to the latch. I unbolted it but you might be able to turn the back of the lock. Good luck.
How far is the latch from the light? Isn't its the middle? How would one go through taking off the bolt is there even a hole behind the light, doesn't look like it. I would like picture to understand more.
Eurobilly

Post by Eurobilly »

My experience was with my LM but it is the same with an EM. I think you need a phillips head screw driver and a 1/2" wrench....
1- Remove the headlamp bezel - held in by 3 or so screws.
2- Remove the headlamp assembly - held in by another 3 or so screws then disconnect the headlights from the harness. On a LM the horn is now visible
3- Remove the headlamp bucket - attached to the body by 5 or so screws. Push the bucket into the trunk. It is sealed to the body so expect some resistance.
4- Reach into the trunk thru the hole you just opened (toward the center - right behind the lock) and unbolt the latch. :checkeredflag:
No photo needed - the "sealed beam replacement" figure in the Body & Chassis Electrical section of the Shop Manual shows an exploded view. I bet you are in the trunk in under 15 minutes. :tu:
Good luck! Hope you don't find a body in there! :pray:
Last edited by Eurobilly on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Bill
'65 Corsa Turbo
'61 Greenbrier 8 Door
Adams, NY
jaime

Post by jaime »

Eurobilly wrote:My experience was with my LM but it is the same with an EM. I think you need a phillips head screw driver and a 1/2" wrench....
1- Remove the headlamp bezel - held in by 3 or so screws.
2- Remove the headlamp assembly - held in by another 3 or so screws then disconnect the headlights from the harness. On a LM the horn is now visible
3- Remove the headlamp bucket - attached to the body by 5 or so screws. Push the bucket into the trunk. It is sealed to the body so expect some resistance.
4- Reach into the trunk and unbolt the latch. :checkeredflag:
The "sealed beam replacement" figure in the Body & Chassis Electrical section of the Shop Manual shows an exploded view. I bet you are in the trunk in under 15 minutes. :tu:
Good luck! Hope you don't find a body in there! :pray:

LOL well I think I'm sending my car to mechanic this weekend. I might try opening but if not I'll let my mechanic do it.
Eurobilly

Post by Eurobilly »

In my situation I locked the keys in the trunk just as it started to rain. :rolling: If I can do this in the rain, I bet you can do it. Why not try? What do you have to lose?...a few screws? And if not successful then take it to a mechanic....or a gunsmith. :assault:
~Bill
'65 Corsa Turbo
'61 Greenbrier 8 Door
Adams, NY
jaime

Post by jaime »

Eurobilly wrote:In my situation I locked the keys in the trunk just as it started to rain. :rolling: If I can do this in the rain, I bet you can do it. Why not try? What do you have to lose?...a few screws? And if not successful then take it to a mechanic....or a gunsmith. :assault:
I'll try then.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”