Electric fuel pump without regulator?

All Models and Years
Mister

Electric fuel pump without regulator?

Post by Mister »

I am a proud new owner of a fiberglass buggy with a 180 Turbo engine. The engine will fire if carb cleaner is sprayed in the carb but im not getting fuel to the carb (stock carb). I tested everything up to the carb and it looks like it doesnt want to pump past the fuel regulator. I was thinking of getting and E8016S electric fuel pump but was wondering if i still needed to run the regulator? Can i just go from the tank to pump to carb? If so what do i do with the vent line to the tank? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Electric fuel pump without regulator?

Post by UNSAFE »

I'm not a turbo guy but if you are getting fuel up to the regulator but not thru it - the regulator is defective.

If it's a little chrome Mr Gasket brand I'm not surprised.

To confirm that the pump that you have is working just bypass the regulator for now and see if you get fuel to the carb.

I don't know about the pump you mention or how much pressure it makes but I would think that you would still want the regulator. I understand turbos are notorious about too much pressure causing flooding and other problems.

I think the vent line you mention is the fuel return line to the tank . This was the factory's way of regulating the pressure and you probably want to retain it along with the regulator. Some of the fancy regulators have a provision for a return line.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Mister

Post by Mister »

Turns out the "fuel regulator" is actually a feul filter with a return outlet. The guy who had it before me had the line switched on the mechanical fuel pump. He had the output going to carb (good) and the input comming from the return (not good). Also the fuel filter was installed backwards as well. The engine will now run!!! Now i have to wait for my "How To Keep Your Corvair Alive" book to come in so that i can fine tune the carb. It runs ok but if you stock the gas it almost dies... also it idles like it has a HUGE cam.

Thanks for the help!
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Bob Helts Carb books are great!! May want to consider one, lots more detail than any other book. Almost willing to say more than the shop manual.

How to Keep Your Corvair Alive is a good read, however, it is VERY dated. Things have changed a bit since that book came out. Still a good book to have on hand. :)
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”