any downside to the Clark's belt tensioner?

All Models and Years
fjp912

any downside to the Clark's belt tensioner?

Post by fjp912 »

OK, the car is going to be here soon, so I need to get cracking. I'm afraid I am going to bombard y'all with questions. I'm thinking I want to replace the belt immediately, as I have no idea how old it is. That leads to the question do I want to buy one of those spring-loaded tensioners that Clark's sells. I have seen a couple of these at shows. It looks like it should be a good idea that takes the guess work out of setting the belt tension, and Clark's claims it is easier on your generator and fan bearings. Does it work as advertised? Has anyone had any problems (belt slipping or throwing) with it? Any tricks or problems installing it? Do you need the wrench that Clark's sells to reach the idler bolt?

FRANK PERCH
Savannah, GA
'64 Monza coupe
FRANK PERCH
Philadelphia, PA
'64 Monza Coupe
cvair4life

Re: any downside to the Clark's belt tensioner?

Post by cvair4life »

I don't have one and have never seen one... but I always use Clark belts and tighten them with the stock idler pulley bracket assembly... I have never thrown or flipped a belt :)
1966 Corsa Coupe
BritCars

Post by BritCars »

As a college student, I bought and drove daily a very used '64 Monza convertible 110/4 speed. I drove the car around town, on long trips home to Cape Cod, and a couple of times, on 14 hour drives from grad school to Cape Cod. I never flipped a belt - and frankly, rarely checked the belt.

Two summers ago, I helped a new owner with her '63 convertible when the new belt on the rarely driven car slipped off the pulleys. I tightened it onto the pulleys and it has not flipped since then. I believe what happened is that the new belt was tightened onto the car when it was refurbished and never checked again. Then she drove the car, warmed the belt a bit, and as different components settled into place, and the belt tension was reduced.

My point is that using the right belts, like those provided by our specialty vendors such as Clark's, checking the belt tension more than once after installation, and driving the car seems to reduce the likelihood of tossing a belt. I would not add a component like a spring tensioner until you determine you really have a problem - but no, there's no downside. The bent wrench available through Clark's is a big help - I keep one in my LM, as well as a spare belt :).

Enjoy your Corvair!

Jeff
Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
http://www.landroverwriter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110/4
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88"
'80 Triumph Spitifre
'80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

What Jeff said.

I never cared for the look of the Clarks unit, the huge door spring going to the back panel looks a bit hoky to me.

With that said, I have the type that Corvair Underground has on mine, small, self contained unit. Did I need it? Nope. As long as your pullys are in good shape and you are running the proper belt, all should be good.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
Luke Geis

Post by Luke Geis »

I too have never seen or used such a devise. The only time I have ever thrown a belt was when the belt was an obvious cheapo, a wrong belt altogether , or just plain old. I currently use what Gatorback ( Goodyear ) calls a standard belt for the car. It is a little short, but has never threatened to fall off.

Basically any good name brand grooved belt, made specifically ( or said to fit ) for the car will work. I used to use the napa parts and now use the goodyear gator series. Each has served well and work as expected. I replace my belt once a year regardless, for surety, but they should last around 1-2 years easily.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”