7/16" Toe out. Help

All Models and Years
rlp11

7/16" Toe out. Help

Post by rlp11 »

Hi All:

Well I got the new motor installed in my '64 driver. Put in new all mounts, new springs the whole works. Now I have 7/16" toe out and +2 3/4 deg camber on the rear. So now my question is how large of a shim do I need to get it back to 1/8" toe in. There must be a formula for that some where. Guess I'll start buy moving the trany mounts back as far as I can and lowering the tranverse leaf spring mounting nuts as low as I can.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Roger Parent
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza Project
Roger Parent

64 Monza Driver
64 Monza Project
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: 7/16" Toe out. Help

Post by UNSAFE »

Wow - it looks like we need a resident Early expert on this forum !

I've never worked on an early and I have no idea about a formula for shim thickness.

I also do not have any early manuals. I looked in "How to Keep Your Corvair Alive" and in the pocket size "Corvair Wheel Alignment" book but did not find anything.

If I come across the info I'll post it but in the meantime maybe an Early Guy will jump in and help

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
GOLDVAIR

Re: 7/16" Toe out. Help

Post by GOLDVAIR »

I deal with this on every car I put a powertrain in. It's something that should never be over looked. Most cars I deal with are resurrected from the dead. I like those most.
You are correct in jumping in and just doing it. I don't have any technical specs for the shims ( there are different thicknesses), but I have found one thick shim will move the wheels from 1/6-1/8. It helps to drive the car after your measurments are where you want them to be. You will find your set #'s will sometimes shift and change.
New ( stock replacement ) springs usually tend to ride a little on the high side. It is very true, " DRIVE THE CAR " and it will settle. I have heard about 400 miles. My gold 60 is close to 2000 miles and I have seen the car settle quite nicely.
Remember, if there's new swing arm bushings installed, do not tighten them up with the car on jack stands. The car must be on the ground and leveled out before tightening. You don't want to damage the rubber premature.
After all of this. It's nice to find an alignment shop that can zero your angles to perfection. It's not uncommon to have more shims on one side than the other. I hope this helps

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”