64 Monza Bumper Replacement

All Models and Years
bjuengling

64 Monza Bumper Replacement

Post by bjuengling »

My 64 had the bumpers painted when it was restored. I would like to replace them with some chrome ones from Clark's. Does anyone have a step by step picture guide of how you did this job? I'd appreciate any help.
Frank DuVal

Re: 64 Monza Bumper Replacement

Post by Frank DuVal »

1961 Shop Manual.

A bolt at each end, take bolts loose from body to bumper bracket, do not try to take the chrome head bumper to bracket bolts out yet, that's for when the bumper is on the floor/bench.

Two bolts into brackets off center of bumper on front, access through trunk. Then the center bolts are with the license plate bracket.

Bolts in rear are similar, one each end, but only one in center bracket and you see that below the bumper outside. The other off center rear are, also there, I think IIRC the heads are visible looking up from under the car.

Basically where you see a chrome head bumper bolt there is a bracket with the bolt(s) you want to remove in it. :tu:

MOST IMPORTANT! Lay rags/towels over the ends of the bumper (once you take out those end bolts) because if you do not, you WILL gouge the paint!

:dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”