Oil pan gasket?

All Models and Years
CZenner

Oil pan gasket?

Post by CZenner »

Well, I've got the front end squared away on my '68 Monza. The Camber bolts and new bushings really fixed up the issues I was having with alignment and negative camber. Now I'm on to the engine. I've got a new oil pan gasket on the way and the car is up on blocks in the garage. Anything I should know before beginning? It looks pretty straight forward. Also, while I'm at it, I'm changing the oil and filter. Any suggestions on what weight of oil to use?
Chris Zenner
Elma, Iowa
ICE Member
CORSA Member
1968 Corvair Monza 110 PG
miniman82

Re: Oil pan gasket?

Post by miniman82 »

Cork? If so, fill the voids in the pan with black silicone. If it's the Clark's non-cork gasket, use a gasket dressing such as Hylomar (both sides).
Click it!
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Yeah I agree with Mini. I would also say, don't overtighten the pan and if it has been overtightened in the past and the sheetmetal is drawn up or bent around the holes.....tap the metal back down flat with the "ball" end of a ball-peen hammer on a thick piece of wood. Slow and easy is the key here. I hate oil leaks so much.....because so many people are expecting them from a Corvair.
CZenner

Post by CZenner »

I went with Clark's rubber gasket (not the silicone). I'm really hoping that this is where the leak is comming from! It's only a few drops a day but it's enough that it bothers me. Thanks for the good advice!
Chris Zenner
Elma, Iowa
ICE Member
CORSA Member
Trip

Post by Trip »

flat6_musik wrote:....because so many people are expecting them from a Corvair.
My vairs leak a little oil, so does my dads 2001 eldorado =P
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I prefer to install the oil pan gasket dry and I especially dis-like sillycone on the oil pan.

One problem with silicone is that it acts like a lubricant until it's dry . This allows the gasket to move or get squished out of place as you tighten the bolts. The other thing about silicone is that often people use way too much. This can cause the excess to get squeezed into the oil pan and then it can plug the oil pickup screen or even get sucked into the bearings.
If you must use silicone - use it sparingly.

On the stock tin pan you need to make sure it isn't distorted around the bolt holes . Giving each hole a smack with a ball peen will help a used pan seal better.

Do not overtighten the bolts - too tight will ruin the gasket and cause leaks.

Often the oil pan gets blamed for leaks that are coming from elsewhere .

Corvairs do have more places to leak than more common 6s or V8s . Just the pushrod tubes alone have 24 o-rings that could leak.

I have an aluminum pan and spacer so the thin paper gaskets work fine for me.
Attachments
1192.jpg
1192.jpg (49.27 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
CZenner

Post by CZenner »

Well, I got the oil pan gasket on last night. I drained the oil and remover the oil filter. When I went to loosen the pan bolts, I found that they didn't even require a wrench because they were loose. Removed the pan and found that the gasket was torn. Cleaned up the pan and the underside of the motor. Replaced the gasket (after dressing it), snugged up the bolts finger tight and let it sit for an hour. Then I snugged them up with the wrench, put on a new oil filter and new oil, and started her up. Let it run for 15 minutes, no leaks! checked again today and still no leaks. Hope it continues this way.
Chris Zenner
Elma, Iowa
ICE Member
CORSA Member
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Well Done!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140