My Engine/Motor 3.1 Webers

All Models and Years
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

My Engine/Motor 3.1 Webers

Post by UNSAFE »

I'll start . My motor is a 3.1 liter/190 CID. It uses Mahle brand cylinders and forged VW pistons that are 94 MM to get the 26 extra cubic inches.
The jugs and pistons are modified to fit as well as the block and heads.
The rods are stock Corvair that have been lightened and use ARP bolts. The small end has been enlarged to fit the VW wrist pins .
The heads have been ported and use 1.5" angle tube exhaust. The intake has been replaced with aftermarket Weber type IR manifolds (individual runner) units mounting triple throat Weber carbs as used on Porsches. The carbs are 40mm running 36mm chokes (venturi)
The crankcase has been deburred and reamed to accept ARP block studs.

The oil pump is stock running a stiffer relief spring. About 55 psi at warm cruising speed.

The camshaft is a Clark's/Otto brand # 30 using SBC springs and Isky high rev lifters. The retainers are titanium and the pushrods are HD with hardened tips. Rollor rockers with stud girdles are used as well.
The compression is fairly low at about 9:1.
The headers are Wheelerizing brand. They aim forward and then circle back under the motor and exit thru SuperTrapp mufflers towards the center.

The ignition is a Mallory Double-life modified by Starr Cooke to use a Pertronix ignitor. I'm using an MSD Al-6 controller with an MSD HVC coil and Seth's wires. I also utilize an MSD remote timing controller and shift light. The rev limiter is usually set at 6800 rpm and it hits it quick in the lower gears.

Fuel pump is Holley Red with 4 psi regulator and fuel line has been enlarged to tank.

I'm sure I left out a few dollar signs but I'll update as I remember.

I have a second very similar motor on the bench right now but I'm still up in the air about whether or not to use an optional type of connecting rods instead of stock ones.

Best time to date in the Qtr mile was 14.600 but my car really wasn't running it's best. I had a major vacuum leak on number 1 and had two rockers set way too loose.

I have since fixed the problems and it's running better than ever. I did take video of the vacuum test and repair procedure at the time. I just recently started editing some valve adjustment ( cold) and TDC / timing / dist play info. watch for upcoming video.

"UNSAFE"
Attachments
909.jpg
909.jpg (42.84 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
1034.JPG
1034.JPG (27.76 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
1202.jpg
1202.jpg (46.76 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
1318.JPG
1318.JPG (41.17 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: My Engine/Motor 3.1 Webers

Post by Scott H »

There we go...That's what I'm talking about! :drool:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Butcher&Vairs

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

:coolphotos: sweet!!
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Since I have my current head off my engine I thought I would compare it to the heads I'm using in my new motor.

It's kinda like a stage IV versus a stage V. I had these done so I can't really verify the flow readings. The actual porting looks similar but the valves are bigger on my new heads. The chambers are a little different too. Most noticeable is less of a slope and the step around the gasket is still there. It appears that the CC is a little smaller on new heads for more compression.
The new heads have Inconel valves. Both have Titanium retainers but one has radius edge.
The new heads are supposed to flow about 10% more. I'd be happy with 10 HP :burnout:

I may set up something to measure the CC volume before I re-install. My plan was for thinner head gaskets too.

The valve oversize is most noticeable as a decreased distance between the valves. I think the intakes are .040 oversize but I'm not sure off hand.
Both heads have 1.5" angle exhaust but the new heads have radius seats instead of angled.

Yeah - the old heads are sooty black from too much idle time and no hard running. Other than a brief jaunt to the local car show last I haven't driven it since Indy in 2008 :checkeredflag:
Attachments
head 1.jpg
head 2.jpg
head 3.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Ira

Post by Ira »

So regarding the headers...

Where did you get them and how much are they?

In addition to that what are the cons if I installed a set?

Looks awesome!

IRa :chevy:
Matt

Post by Matt »

Wheelerizing is in Orange County, CA

http://www.wheelerizing.com/
'63 Spyder vert
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Wonder if they know the pics on their site don't work...
Click it!
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I'm not sure wheeler is still actively doing stuff for Corvairs.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Wow Kevin. When you install your new motor .... I want your old motor ... ggggg Man oh man what a nice looking set up. I'm still surprised it doesn't run faster, though you did say when you ran the 1/4 it wasn't running real good. I wonder what it would run when dialed in?

:ty: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :ty:
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

Dream engine for sure!
Who did the machine work on the new heads and engine?
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

The heads were done by Wheelerizing but I can't recommend them and they may not even be doing Corvair stuff anymore.

I'd contact Michael Leveque at Levair for any machine work.
Attachments
1035.jpg
1035.jpg (22.87 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

Hey Kevin. Tell me about your headers? I see that they are bolted to the head... how did you go about doing that and having them made?
1966 Corsa Coupe
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

>>>>Hey Kevin. Tell me about your headers?<<<<

The heads have what is commonly called "angle tube" exhaust. The stock restrictive exhaust tubes are removed and then the port is drilled oversized and at an angle so they clear the pushrod tubes.

Mine are 1.5" . Then matching flanges are welded to the headers. The stock exhaust tubes also have an indentation that restricts the exhaust even more. Here's a pic from "Hot Rodding The Compacts" that gives you some idea about the difference.
tubes.jpg
tubes.jpg (161.63 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
I think a lot of people want to stick on big carbs without considering that what goes in must come out.

This set of headers is supposed to fit stock or angle port exhaust but I'm not sure what they'd use for a gasket/donut. They are very much like my current headers except the collecter is smaller diameter.
1050.jpg
1050.jpg (29.3 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
Here's the ones I'm using now. The blue wire are the O2 sensors for the dash mounted mixture meter that is left over from my EFI daze. The hoses are part of the exhaust driven crankcase evac system . It creates a vacuum in the crankcase. I don't use the common PCV type ventilation.
1049.JPG
1049.JPG (34.67 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
Pic below shows negative pressure.
924.jpg
Here's a pic that shows the angle tubes pretty well.
909.jpg
909.jpg (42.84 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
There are likely several Vair guys that can do the mod for you when you get serious about it. I'd call Michael at LeVair Performance & Restoration. He's a forum sponser !
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”