Horn Relay

All Models and Years
ranger372

Horn Relay

Post by ranger372 »

When I hit the horn button, I can hear a click sound from the relay, but no horn. is this telling me the relay is bad?
Thanks, Steve D.
''65 Corsa turbo conv't.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Horn Relay

Post by azdave »

Could be. The relay you hear is out in the trunk. Correct? The horn relay is powered at all times and the horn button in the column grounds the relay coil which then closes the contacts and sends power to the two horns. It might be a bad relay as both horns don't usually quit at the exact same time.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The horn relay wiring is fairly simple. The 14R (14 Gauge RED) wire is powered all the time (even with the key OFF) so be carful not to cause a short to GROUND. The thin 20B (20 Gauge BLACK) wire is simply a connection to the steering wheel horn button. Pushing the horn button causes a GROUND connection that activates the horn relay and links the 14R wire to the two 16DG (16 Gauge DARK GREEN) wires that feed power to the horns. (The horn housings are in-turn GROUNDED to the car chassis, to provide a ground return path to the battery negative terminal).

You could test the horns by simply using a wire to short between the 14R wire and the 16DG wires, to sound the horns. Using the wire to connect the thin 20B terminal to a chassis ground point should activate the relay. (The purpose of the horn relay is to provide a heavy-duty switch that handles the high electrical current draw of the two horns. This removes that switching task from the low-current capacity horn button).

1965-1969 Corvair Trunk Schematic Diagram.jpg
Suitable horn relays may be available at local auto parts stores, or you could order one from a supplier like Clark's Corvair Parts.

ImageImage
:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... ow_page=88
Part number C1167: HORN RELAY

Weight: 0 lbs 6 oz
Catalog Page(s): 88
Price: $ 25.90

Duralast Relay 16127
Part # 16127
SKU # 1214

$11.99
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

You could unplug the relay in the trunk and jumper the red wire to the dark green pair and see if the horn(s) work. If so, the relay is bad. If not, the horns are stuck/junk.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Wagon has the right idea.
I've had a lot more horns fail than relays. I agree that both horns probably wouldn't fail at the same time but I figure that a lot of cars only have one working and no one notices until the 2nd one fails.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

I had the same issue, Steve. Yes, horn relays wear out!

ranger372

Post by ranger372 »

I've replaced the relay with the one that Brad B. suggested. Still the click sound only. I then tried jumping the double green with the red. No sound, I am then concluding the horns are bad. Correct?
erco

Post by erco »

Possibly. Check that you have steady +12V on the big red wire first. Changing horns is a PITA, they are inside the headlights. BTW Harbor Freight sells 2 horns (hi & lo) for $10, a good deal even if you only use them for testing.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 99911.html

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”