68 Monza water from exhaust pipe

All Models and Years
BuggyOne

68 Monza water from exhaust pipe

Post by BuggyOne »

So we recently had some serious rainfall here. Started up the 1968 Monza Corvair and a considerable amount of water came out of the exhaust pipes.
I am a newb without a lot of experience with the make and model. Can anybody give me some advisement on what could have caused this? Of course I am concerned as with a regular engine this is a really bad sign.
Thanks in advance.
joelsplace

Re: 68 Monza water from exhaust pipe

Post by joelsplace »

You parked in a low spot that flooded. I had that happen once and it filled some of the cylinders with water also. It didn't hurt anything.
Don't park there.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
BuggyOne

Post by BuggyOne »

I dont think it flooded but the rain was severe, at least 4 hours of straight torrential downpour. I think you're right and it was just a lot of water. It started and seemed to run fine but I shut it down right away. The old water/ cracked block/head gasket reaction. Still not used to air cooled.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

As long as the carbs are covered (air cleaners in place) water can not get inside the engine unless there is a flood deep enough to submerge it above the level of the exhaust manifolds or higher. How often is the car operated. Water dripping from the exhaust is pretty normal for cars that sit as condensation forms inside the mufflers and even inside the engine to a lesser degree from air temperature changes. If there was a significant amount of water indie the engine it would show up 2 ways. 1. the oil might have whiteish creamy looking stuff in it and might measure overfull, or 2. the engine would lock up when the starter was engaged as water does not compress well (this sometimes breaks starters or bends connecting rods). Since it started and ran ok, I would check the oil for water symptoms and change it if there are any and then operate it normally thereafter. engines should be operated at least monthly and long enough to get fully hot for a while when operated to boil any condensation and keep it from accumulating.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
BuggyOne

Post by BuggyOne »

Thanks TerribleTed. I appreciate the detailed response and will check the oil prior to starting again.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Burning a gallon of gasoline makes 1.52 gallons of water. It all has to come out the tailpipe. By the time the engine is warmed up the water is vaporized enough that you can't see it. Like Ted said when the exhaust system is cold some of that water condenses on the pipe and runs out as liquid.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”