Wiring brakes and rebuild kits

All Models and Years
Fancyvair63

Wiring brakes and rebuild kits

Post by Fancyvair63 »

Hi. I’m new to the whole Corvair thing but I really wanted a project car and found a 63 Corvair to restore. So far it’s going good but I have a few questions. One I just did the brake shoes but now when I spin the wheels they’re kind of hard to spin. Is this normal? Two, I want to rebuild the engine and am looking for a rebuild kit. I have gone on the website listed at the bottom to find one. I don’t really know how to tell if a piston is bad and if I will need to split the block or not. And third I live in SoCal and the wiring needs to be done. Does anybody know of a place i could take the car to in order to have the wiring harness redone? The car has been sitting since 81 so it definitely needs new wires and some of them are broken too. Thank you for all the help. I know it’s a lot but I’m very new to this and am very interested in fixing my Corvair. Also here’s the link to the rebuild kit site I found.
http://www.corvairunderground.com/enginekits.htm
61SuperMonza

Re: Wiring brakes and rebuild kits

Post by 61SuperMonza »

The shoes should have a slight bit of drag. If you have to use muscle to turn they need adjustment for sure.
Unfortunately Corvair Underground has closed its doors after many years in business. Try Clark's corvair parts. They have all the parts you will need and great service I e as well. The majority of the parts on my car are from Clark's. Good luck
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK
Fancyvair63

Post by Fancyvair63 »

Ok. Thank you. I was looking into Corvair underground a lot so that’s very good to know.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I tried to send you an email via the forum but it sent the email to me. I guess you have private messages turned off also.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Fancyvair63 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:01 pm Ok. Thank you. I was looking into Corvair underground a lot so that’s very good to know.
Corvair Underground is best I know out of business. Many people have had issues with supply from that source for a while. The link you posted seems to show catalog pages from Undergrounds catalogs from like 15 years ago.

I suggest the largest Corvair parts supplier Clark's Corvair Parts or California Corvair parts, or Raffee Corvair perhaps for such parts. a kit is not necessarily the best choice unless it is customizable. You must measure to determine bearing and piston sizes etc. unless you are replacing everything with rebuilt or new items. expect to spend about $3000-4000 or more for parts for a total engine rebuild.

To fully rebuild the engine you will certainly need to split the case as you can not change the camshaft nor the main bearings without doing so.

Clark's has complete new wiring harnesses for the cars. they also have all the GM shop manuals in reproduction. you will certainly need access to these for what you are describing
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Fancyvair63

Post by Fancyvair63 »

Ooh. That is so helpful thank you. I didn’t know they had the wiring harnesses there. Also how would I know what stuff needs to be replaced? I bought the engine from a guy who said it used to run and said it turns and had compression but I should overhaul it anyway. I got a 4 speed transmission and a transaxle from him too. Thank you for the info.
Fancyvair63

Post by Fancyvair63 »

joelsplace wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:35 pm I tried to send you an email via the forum but it sent the email to me. I guess you have private messages turned off also.
My settings are all on. I just checked. Private messages are on.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Fancyvair63 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:06 am Ooh. That is so helpful thank you. I didn’t know they had the wiring harnesses there. Also how would I know what stuff needs to be replaced? I bought the engine from a guy who said it used to run and said it turns and had compression but I should overhaul it anyway. I got a 4 speed transmission and a transaxle from him too. Thank you for the info.
I would want to turn the engine over with a wrench for over 720 degrees to make sure there was no bind. I would then change the oil, remove the distributor and spin the oil pump to pressurize the oil system, reinstall the distributor, crank the engine with the starter and perform a compression test. If I saw compression readings over around 75PSI I would then do what it took to get the engine running and evaluate its operation after doing some tuning and adjusting including a running valve adjustment. I would recompression test after a few hot and cold cycles and if the compression was over 110PSI at this point (ideal is around 135-165PSI), I would not rebuild it just yet. I would put it in operation and see how it did. I would retest compression after a few hundred miles IF my last readings were 125PSI or lower. If the engine performed OK I would not rebuild it until compression dropped below around 110PSI or so or other issues like low oil pressure, noise etc., were evident.

Sounds like this engine is not in a car. That makes it harder to evaluate but not impossible. You will need a differential and the parts needed to mate the starter to the engine so it can crank it (flywheel and pressure plate or torque converter and flex plate). Stick the engine and diff on a furniture dolly or similar and supply power as needed and crank it up. Unless something is very wrong internally (which you should have found on your 720 degree rotation with wrench test) it will just sit there while operating. Blasting to full throttle might make it wobble or jump around on the dolly. I have revived these engines many times after they have sat for 10 or more years with no issues. If they are good they will be ok, if they are not good it will become apparent while trying to revive them. Just doesn't make sense to fix it if it ain't broke, particularly when rebuilding costs easily exceed $4000 for just parts and machine work.

Clark's has almost everything you need to repair any part of a Corvair. I highly suggest you order a shop manual (or manuals main book and supplements) for the year car and engine (might be different) you are working on and while you are at it get a copy of their free catalog. Catalog is over an inch thick and full of all kinds of diagrams and data way beyond just a listing of parts.

As far as deciding what to replace, that requires evaluating each item for condition, function, and reparability. Some items may be able to be repaired others may need full on replacement.

You mentioned brakes. Is there any corrosion inside the master cylinder? Did you pull back the boots on the wheel cylinders? When you looked under the wheel cylinder boots was there any fluid there (should be dry)? Were there any white or brown deposits or corrosion under these boots (should not be)? How old are the brake hoses (these dry rot and can fail internally)? How about the metal brake lines, do they have any rust showing on the anywhere including inside the tunnel and above the fuel tank under the car? Did you do a hard harder test? (Jamb the brake pedal as hard as you can to the floor and hold it, should stay firm and not sink. If a line blows out doing this replace it). What you are trying to do with this is fail an internally rusty brake line sitting in the driveway rather than on the road. If there is corrosion of any type in the master cylinder and under the boots on the wheel cylinders is not clean and dry, I would replace the entire system (at least hoses, and all wheel cylinders and master cylinder). I would also replace any questionable steel lines. Then I would flush brake fluid through the lines while bleeding until the output was totally clean. Brakes are the most important mechanical system in the car and most of these cars that I see that have been sitting need significant brake work. If I find corrosion and the brake springs and adjusters etc. are not like new I usually just replace everything rather than fool around with trying to free up sticking adjusters and worrying about unevenness from weak brake springs etc..
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Fancy --- You didn't mention where in S. Calif. you are located. Due to COVID many Corvair clubs have gone online. A few do have a "parking lot" meet once a month with distancing and masks.

Before COVID many clubs had "experts" in different areas to help an new Corvair owner, but for obvious reasons that is on hold.

I've re-wired a few LM Corvairs and helped others with EM Corvairs. The first thing to check is the fuse box. If the terminals are badly corroded it's time for a new main (behind dash) wiring harness. The engine harness is usually a mess so that may need replacing. EM Corvair cars have tail lamp housing ground issues, as well as the main headlamp buckets. All fixable.

Clark's sell M&H Electric Fabricator harness sets. They are well made and I rarely find a problem with them. They are located in the L.A., CA. area, but for smaller harness assemblies I order from Clark's to combine parts shipping costs. If Clark's is out of stock on a harness I order from M&H. As far as I know M&H is the ONLY company that makes ALL the Corvair wiring harnesses -- http://www.wiringharness.com/

I'm retired and did a full engine rebuilds on my cars. There really isn't a comprehensive kit. I'd do some homework and decide what type of engine you want. Daily driver stock to wild racing engine is doable. Isky cams is located in Gardena, CA and I've had good luck with their cams. Clark's sells a lot of engine parts. BTW Bruce at Engine Machine does all the head work for the Corvair vendors in L.A., CA. New valve guides and seats are highly recommended. Some like to put newer LM engines in EM cars. This gets involved as the flywheel, pressure plate, bellhousing is different between EM and LM cars. I've seen a number of issues due to mis-matched parts.

California Corvair is in Chino, CA, but they stopped doing repairs and engine builds a year or so back. They sell new, NOS, and used parts.

I can only recommend one Corvair repair fellow in L.A., CA who doesn't have any complaints against him, but he is not inexpensive. If interested let me know and I'll get you his name. He is up in the valley.

Expect a GOOD engine rebuild to cost about $5,000.00 (or more) IF you pay someone to do it all. If you have not rebuilt an engine before I would advise against it as there are a number of skills you can't learn in a week or so, or by reading books. You would need a mentor to help you since the Corvair engine has some build issues you need to know.

Oh - the S. Calif. transaxle expert is Dan Drommerhausen in the South Coast Corsa club in Torrance, CA.

Good luck with your Corvair.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Oh! Many have reported the new aftermarket brake shoes are TOO thick so even with the adjusters fully backed off the drums are tight. Also there is the issue of incorrect show to drum arc or hard lining material that causes very high brake pedal effort to stop the car - not good. The drums should just barely drag on the shoes after adjustment. Too tight and you will overheat the brakes.

Friction Material in Long Beach, CA can re-line your old brake shoes and turn the drums, then arc the shoes to fit the drums (very difficult to find a shop that does that now). A number of folks in the SCC club have used them. They also use a softer lining material for a good pedal pressure and responsive braking.
erco

Post by erco »

Hey FV63: I'm also in SoCal (Torrance). California Corvair Parts and Mike's Corvair Parts are more local to us than Clark's. Occasionally you can find old wiring harnesses on Ebay or at a swap meet (whenever they resume). I got a whole 65-66 harness for $5 at the Ontario CORSA convention, of course that was 1990...

Mike has some at https://mikescorvairparts.com/product-c ... harnesses/
Last edited by erco on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

erco wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:02 pm Hey FV63: I'm also in LA (Torrance). California Corvair Parts and Mike's Corvair Parts are more local to us than Clark's. Occasionally you can find old wiring harnesses on Ebay or at a swap meet (whenever they resume). I got a whole 65-66 harness for $5 at the Ontario CORSA convention, of course that was 1990...

Mike has some at https://mikescorvairparts.com/product-c ... harnesses/
If I was going to change a wiring harness it would be because of major butchery or corrosion. I might try a used trunk or engine bay one IF it showed zero corrosion and was perfect and matched the car exactly (essentially every year and style car is slightly different as far as the wiring goes). I would not even try installing a used dash or main body harness as they are not easy to change and almost all original harnesses are corroded at the terminals and often inside the wires themselves. Exact new harnesses while expensive are not horrendously priced and have zero corrosion. Replace it once and never screw with it again:)

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Corvair Wiring Components.jpg

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... _page=MK-7

See pages 80-100 for Clark's Corvair Parts Wiring Accessories, Electrical Parts and Wiring Harnesses...
:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... ow_page=80

:link: http://www.wiringharness.com/

:link: https://www.americanautowire.com/

Also download their 2020 Custom/Street Rod Product Catalog (At 33 MB, too BIG to upload on the Corvair Forum Website!)

2020 Custom/Street Rod Product Catalog
Contains our popular line of Classic Update kits made specifically to fit certain make/model/year vehicles, as well as our universal harness line featuring the Highway, Power Plus, Severe Duty and Builder series kits. The Streetrod catalog also includes many accessories and add-on items to help complete your custom project.
:link: https://www.ronfrancis.com/
Corvair Wiring.jpg
:confused: :BradBodie:
Attachments
M&H Corvair Wiring Harness Catalog (2020).pdf
M&H Corvair Wiring Harness Catalog (2020)
(987.14 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
American Autowire - 2020 Factory Fit OEM Product Catalog - GM - CORVAIR.pdf
American Autowire - 2020 Factory Fit OEM Product Catalog - GM - CORVAIR
(3.47 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
2019 Ron Francis Wiring Catalog - Issue 47.pdf
2019 Ron Francis Wiring Catalog - Issue 47
(14.88 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS, HARNESSES & SCHEMATICS.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS, HARNESSES & SCHEMATICS
(12.21 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
erco

Post by erco »

terribleted wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:23 pm
If I was going to change a wiring harness it would be because of major butchery or corrosion. I might try a used trunk or engine bay one IF it showed zero corrosion and was perfect and matched the car exactly (essentially every year and style car is slightly different as far as the wiring goes).
Agreed. Actually mine was just the front trunk harness. I used some connectors to replace bad ones on my '67. The replacement harness was actully for 65-66. I looked it over and IIRC everything matched except the '67 has one extra wire for the master cylinder sensor. TTYTT my stock '67 installation looks like they just taped the extra wire onto a 65-66 harness.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”