turbo charger fuel return line?

All Models and Years
pauly4ic64

turbo charger fuel return line?

Post by pauly4ic64 »

Ok,,, I am confused,,,I have a 1964 monza convertible,,,according to title and vin# in door opening and tag in trunk.. ,,,This car has a turbo charger fuel return line on it.. It runs from the fuel tank under drivers side up trough drivers side rear wheel well up into engine area and conects directly to the fuel pump,, it all looks to be stock,,even the tabs on the underbody that holds the line...Does anyone have a clue what or why this turbo line would be in here..my vin #s are 40967 which is a 1964 convertible monza..
65Ragtop

Re: turbo charger fuel return line?

Post by 65Ragtop »

Look in your trunk on the passenger side firewall and fender well area. Is there evidence of something like a gas heater having been mounted there at one time? Gas heaters were only available from the factory through 63 (and only as a special option that year), but because the 64 was basically identical to the earlier models body wise, many folks installed one or had one installed after they bought the car. Not that uncommon. Sounds like thats what might be going on here.

Another possible adaptation made by some was the addition of a gas return line similar to the turbo models in order to help deal with the dreaded "vapor loc" in the fuel system. Worked quite well actually. Also, not uncommon.

Take a look at the "T" fitting at the filler tube on the gas tank. (I am presuming the line terminates there). All the fuel lines met in this area be it for return and/or heater. Might be another clue. Just some thoughts.

Send a picture of the fuel pump, the line and the filler tube if you can. It might help figure it out. The Trunk too.
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
pauly4ic64

Post by pauly4ic64 »

DUUURRR,, well I sent pics of it to Rafee at rafee corvairs,,and he identified it as the speedometer cable,,man I am such a dork,,i wont even go into what I did when replaced fuel pump,,,,, well thanks fellas
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

Don't worry about it. If your not afraid to ask questions, you will eventually get some good answers and learn alot in the process.................stuff happens. :cool:
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”