Is it possible to make a Corvair more ECO-Friendly?

All Models and Years
shawncorvair

Is it possible to make a Corvair more ECO-Friendly?

Post by shawncorvair »

Hi all,

My first post! I'm in Southern Cali and I've always just about ran off the road when i was lucky enough to be passed by a Corvair on the road and I'm currently the owner of a beautiful 1979 Thunderbird... BUT, it's a bit too large for me and I'm dying for a convertible- hey, it's LA. ;)

Anyhow, here's my question: is it possible to make a 64 vert more eco-friendly? I'm guessing a tuneup, cleaned carb etc but is there anything else you guys would recommend? I've read these can get 20-22 mpg on premium?

I'm not finding much online but it seems to me that they aren't nearly as "bad" as other classics.... makes sense.

Thanks all..... I'm looking around for my Vair, already in love! ;)
Last edited by shawncorvair on Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
65Ragtop

Re: Is it possible to do this with a Corvair...

Post by 65Ragtop »

Hello (Shawn?). Welcome. What you propose is a great idea. The Corvair was introduced as an economy car and as such it was "Green" way before "Green" was popular or even in the publics mindset. It's light, air cooled (no coolant to pollute ground water), and fits into the Reduce (great mileage since 1959 so it has paid it's dues their), Reuse (the pollution produced building a new car to replace an old one is quite dramatic) and recycle (Recycleing old parts to keep you car running is way cleaner than producing new ones, environmentally speaking)circle quite well.

Fuels and lubes have changed alot since the 'vairs hayday and have cleaned up emmisions quite a bit with just that (no lead, oxigenated etc.). You might find it benificial to upgrade your fuel system with parts that are compatible with these new fuels. Fortunately, their are mostly steel fuel lines on the cars but where there is rubber you might want to replace with synthetics. An electric fuel pump is a good idea as the stock pump might not be compatable and the new fuels tend to be a bit more volitile leading to possible increase in the possibility of "vapor lock" in the motor. Electric pumps prevent this.

Eventually, if you have the funds :fingerscrossed: , a conversion to Fuel Injection would do wonders towards getting you to your goal. It has been done many times and there is a lot of info on it. Well preped cars with FI are getting close to 30 mpg in some cases.

Synthetic oils and lubes are the wave of the future. The debate rages on there use in an old style engine and transaxle setup like a corvair. Many have used them with good results. I think it is the way to go but do your homework first. There are things to consider before you just dump the first thing you come across into your motor.

A reuseable air filter is a quick and easy way to stop throwing away used junk. Just clean, re oil, and put it back in every now and then.

One of the first and best things you can do is reduce rolling resistance. first, put radial tires on the car. The difference is amazing in both handling and fuel mileage. Make sure all wheel bearings are in good condition and well greased. A front air dam is a good idea on any corvair as well. It may seem silly, but if your car has a good paint job on it, keep it waxed up. Every little bit counts, the cumulative effect is what we are looking for.

Look for a 3 or 4 speed car with a 3:27 axle ratio (or 3:55). I think there are 3:08 gear sets available from vendors but not sure an unmodified car could pull them in a hilly or mountain setting.

A 64 'vert is one classy car. Listed above are some common things you could do. Moving this classic into the modern era is a challenge worth accepting and it would be a really cool thing to do. I am sure there are many things I have not mentioned, go for it and get creative. I look forward to the day you have your car and start working on it...... and keep us posted on your progress. ::-):
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to do this with a Corvair...

Post by Scott H »

Very well written Mike!

Great idea Shawn. I like it and I think you've found the perfect car to do it with. :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
shawncorvair

Re: Is it possible to make a Corvair more ECO-Friendly?

Post by shawncorvair »

Wow Mike, great response. I thought I'd get an idea or two but it sounds like you've pretty much covered it. I hate giving the oil companies any more of my money than I have to, but I also love a classic. I really like the idea of turning this compact classic into a modern day fuel efficient car- best of both.

I'll put the money into it because it's an investment and if people can do it, it's the right thing to do.

Question: I once heard that Chevy planned an electric car in the early 1960's. I'm curious as to how the Corvair would have been part of that project, if it was....

Thanks again Mike. GREAT info. And ya Scott, I'll def keep you guys updated on which car I buy and it's eco-updates.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

You can make it as good as the day it was built, but it will still be lacking by long shot by today's standards. Fuel injection and modern computer control is a good way to get these engines running their best, though most of you will never venture down that road.
Click it!
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

I was thinking about the Electrovairs after I read this post too. One more example of how far ahead of the game the Corvair really was.

I was also thinking about CNG or Propane powered cars. We have duel use vehicles here, CNG/Gasoline. Duel because of the obvious lack of fueling stations for CNG right now. But they work fine, easy to go from one to the other.

And don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. See the "Clean Air Vair" below. 173 + MPH at bonneville. Not that you want to do that, but the point is you can do anything you put your mind to.
Attachments
Electrovair 1.jpg
Electrovair 1.jpg (58.55 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Electrovair 2.jpg
Tom Keosababian's twin turbo,H2O injected, Propane powered Corvair.  Look him up.
Tom Keosababian's twin turbo,H2O injected, Propane powered Corvair. Look him up.
Clean air Vair.jpg (35.18 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”