65 monza 4 speed w shifter issue.

All Models and Years
Mcwho

Re: 65 monza 4 speed w shifter issue.

Post by Mcwho »

Transaxle fluid, as checked by dipstick in trunk is clean and opaque.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Corvair Forum mobile app

1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 110, 4 speed, Liberty Blue
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

I grabbed the shifter shaft coupling that goes into the transmission and could turn the coupler about 1/8 to 1/4 turn, I saw that the shaft going into the trans did not move yet.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Mcwho wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:31 am I grabbed the shifter shaft coupling that goes into the transmission and could turn the coupler about 1/8 to 1/4 turn, I saw that the shaft going into the trans did not move yet.
Inspect the coupler. The holes should be the same diameter as the pin but slightly elongated not round. The pins also wear. If these parts are worn replace them and see what you get.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
erco

Post by erco »

Mcwho wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:31 am I grabbed the shifter shaft coupling that goes into the transmission and could turn the coupler about 1/8 to 1/4 turn, I saw that the shaft going into the trans did not move yet.
Pretty sure you found your problem! With all that slop, you're not able to get into reverse fully. There's a chance your transmission is fine and the shift tube & coupler is the culprit. See if you can shift into reverse at the tranny and test drive the car in reverse.
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

This is the clevis pin that connects the shift rod to the transmission shifter rod.
20200704_152126.jpeg

erco

Post by erco »

I smell a smoking gun! That surely wasn't helping your shift situation. The new pin will definitely improve things.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Mcwho wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:25 pm This is the clevis pin that connects the shift rod to the transmission shifter rod.20200704_152126.jpeg

If the pin is that worn the coupler is likely worn out also. Hole should be slightly elongated and the same width as the pin. If the holes in the coupler are round then it is worn out as well.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

Update: the clafks shifter kit was installed abd the travel is 1/4 of ehat it wss. Still there is a problem. Feels like the trans is not releasing from one gear and going into another gear. HD similR issue on a sunbeam tiger.

Mechanic removed engine, trans and diff. Diff seems ok. Trans syill seems locked up. Purchased used trNs/diff and we are gonna use the used 4 speed and hope its ok.

Mechanic found a couple other issues such S a cyl head not seated correctly. Torn air hose in rear where the channel connects to blower fan, etc etc. Many clarks orderz lTer it is stRting to be reSsembled.

Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

The mechanic has lots of corvair experience. AND i found a transmission shop thT says he can rebuild that transmission if i need to in the future.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”