clutch/ shift grind

All Models and Years
jetthrust

clutch/ shift grind

Post by jetthrust »

Question to those that have experience:

Getting an unhappy sounding loud grind when shifting into first from a stop. I was aware of the possibility of some clutch work needed when I purchased the car, (the PO told me to check the disc and pressure plate) -- he had experienced the trouble as well.

It does not happen every time I shift to 1 (one) from a stop -- intermittant. Have the manual, assembly manual and the "How to keep your Corvair alive" books, so am armed with some info on dropping the engine and servicing. The additional shifting bug I have experienced is a less harsh grind when downshifting from 3 to 2 -- (adjustment?) or related to the main issue. ????

Asking as to what others have experienced the suspected problem is with this symptom. And the suggested solutions.

Thanks!

Jaeson
Jaeson Kay
Los Angeles, CA
1963 Rampside
1965 Corvair Monza - 140 - 4 speed
terribleted

Re: clutch/ shift grind

Post by terribleted »

Is it a 3 speed or a 4 speed? What year is it? The 65 and before 3 speeds are non synchromesh into first gear. The car must be totally stoped before shifting into first or some grind can occur. If a 3 speed are you sure the car is totally stopped when it grinds (indicates a problem likely internal transmission wear of some kind)? 4 speeds are synchromesh to first and should not grind as long as sufficient time with the clutch pedal pushed in has elapsed for the gears to get equalized in speed.

Grinds from 3rd down to second are most likely to be worn synchronizers in the transmission on all standards and the most likely culprit in first gear grinding in a four speed. If the clutch is not fully disengaging when the pedal is down grinding can result from that as well however burning clutch smells and/or the car trying to move with the clutch depressed and the shifter in first gear are also symptoms. Can hurt much to try adjusting the clutch a bit tighter to be sure it is fully disengaging...easy to do...before pulling the power train and going internal. Good luck.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
jetthrust

Re: clutch/ shift grind

Post by jetthrust »

More info, should have included it.

I have a 4 speed -- 140 engine.
The receipts I have indicate that it is an EM gearbox -- 60-63 -- purchased in '96 from LS Corvairs.
The car was originally an automatic -- sometime was turned into a 4 speed -- the engine is a transplant too. 140 Corsa engine.

Don't know what vintage the clutch, pressure plate, etc are.

All suggestions welcome!

~jK
Jaeson Kay
Los Angeles, CA
1963 Rampside
1965 Corvair Monza - 140 - 4 speed

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”