misfire

All Models and Years
Als

misfire

Post by Als »

Ok it was running great! Now I sit here pondering what to do. A week ago my wife said her car,(the monza) wasn’t running right. I went out to have a listen and decided to tune it up. Btw new car to us. The points were absolutely fried. Way beyond anything I have ever seen! So points, condenser, cap and rotor. Check timing. Good to go. NOT.
After she has it out a few times. Comes in saying it’s doing it again. 🤔. Go have a listen. Ok now something is wrong! Pretty loud clatter in the back, not really a tappet sound but in the right area. Now I’m thinking lifter, spring, rocker, push rod. Or worse cam. Or all of the above. The noise quit with a shot of mystery oil in the crankcase and 15 min runtime. But still missing #6
My hope here is I can get some direction what next since I can’t find anyone willing to even look at it.
I did a hot compression check. The problem is definitely #6 @30# the remaining 5 are 125-145 left side are lower than the right. Left side plugs look good, right side not as good.kinda odd look for new plugs of 50 miles. Just balancing I’m sure running a bit rich on right, not sooty but wet shiny kinda.
Now the question. Probable cause? How to proceed?
terribleted

Re: misfire

Post by terribleted »

Could be dropped valve seat in #6, or other valve train issue at #6 like sticking lifter, broken valve spring, burnt valve, etc. Remove the valve cover and check it out physically, use a flashlight to look closely at the valve spring. 30 PSI indicates the valve is not fully closing through the compression part of the cycle.

Likely not the cam itself as more compression would likely build even with a badly worn cam lobe but it’s possible.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Right carb flooding, needle valve not shutting off the fuel flow, adjust the float. Do a hot valve adjust on # 6 & see if you can get some more compression. There are Youtube video's to hot adjust the valves. Make sure the fuel pump is correctly installed, if it's not in correct it can click & sound just like a lifter. You didn't say what you working with.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Als

Post by Als »

64” Monza convert. I think 110hp but not sure of it
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Now I see you started 2 threads for the same car. 64 Monza, 110 or 95 HP?
Attachments
Distributor Wire Position.jpg

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Als

Post by Als »

If I did start two my bad. One in welcome? One in mechanical?
Didn’t expect anything more in the welcome thread than “ hello from xx “
Als

Post by Als »

In any case I’ll get the cover off tomorrow and take a peek see and hope for the obvious.
It ran so well I’m surprised it happened so quickly.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Als wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:50 pm In any case I’ll get the cover off tomorrow and take a peek see and hope for the obvious.
It ran so well I’m surprised it happened so quickly.
Valve train failure is like that. Had a perfectly running car I was working on last week that dropped a valve e seat on start up. The rich condition in the left bank is very likely due to the compression loss as the unburned fuel would be pushed back thru the intake thru the open valve into the other cylinders. Keep us posted what you find
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Als

Post by Als »

Will know much more tomorrow I’m sure. Then the real questions will start.😂
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Well good luck with it. :tu:

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Als

Post by Als »

Ok. I adjusted # 6 cold. First time cranking I got 0#. Figured I was backwards. Then while bringing it back around to TDC on #2 I noticed 6 came up some on the gauge. Cranked it again without changing anything and now 125#. What’s with that? Also checked again before I started and it was still very low. What in blue blazes cause it to jump back to 125? I’m baffled. When something is broke in my book it stays broke. Especially when it’s mechanical and steel. Off with its head!? (Pun intended)
I also have a couple of pics of over n under the engine thinking the shrouds are wrong or engine isn’t a 64, and lower shrouds are gone? This is what I see before starting anything.
0E039431-71F1-4D34-ADD0-ACAA29531412.jpeg
21367E61-5BB8-4E8D-928B-DCA30EB7F7B5.jpeg
Attachments
4444A435-5E47-4445-A539-A4A711423FDD.jpeg
Als

Post by Als »

ImageHere’s a shot of the buggy.
Attachments
F4EF5C11-0CBD-435C-BEA0-08F01B0D0CF9.jpeg
steve57

Post by steve57 »

Yes,missing shrouds and air doors. Previous owner did not mention this?
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
Als

Post by Als »

Nope. All good according to him. Finding more wrong than I like.😡
Als

Post by Als »

Top shroud looks wrong according to the book also. No oil cooler access door?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Cannot see the oil cooler access door, but I believe they all had one. The sheet metal in that area varied with the size and capacity of the oil cooler. However, the top shroud does have the correct PCV mount and fan belt guide mount that would be expected in 1964 and later.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”