63 monza coil springs

All Models and Years
mikesndrsn

63 monza coil springs

Post by mikesndrsn »

What tool do I use to remove the front and rear coil springs? I have tried to use both the inside and outside coil spring compressors from O'Reilly, but neither will fit.

What next? Thanks. Mike :helpsos:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 63 monza coil springs

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :wave: Welcome, Mike, to the Corvair Forum! It sounds like you are attempting to work on your suspension without reading the factory shop manuals. If you don't have a set of Corvair manuals and other technical references to guide you, I strongly suggest you purchase or download these manuals and make full use of them. These books, Internet resources like the Corvair Forum, and perhaps a local Corvair club (CORSA club chapter) — if one is available near you — will go a long way toward a successful effort in mastering your 1963 Corvair and getting the most enjoyment from it. ::-):

I rebuilt my first Corvair engine at age 16 — way back in 1969. I did it during my high school summer vacation using my father's tools and with only a 1961 and 1965 Corvair shop manual to guide me. The shop manuals are pretty good and absolutely necessary. You should never attempt to maintain your Corvair without having a shop manual to guide you. I have attached sections of the 1961 Shop Manual and 1962-1963 Shop Manual Supplement that apply to suspension, steering and brake systems. Refer to section 3, page 3-8 for coil spring removal procedures. If you have any questions or need further guidance, check back here on the Corvair Forum.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your earlier post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair. Your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Some detailed photographs of your Corvair would be great! I also recommend that you post your location, as knowing your location can often suggest possibilities.

:welcome:

:chevy:
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 3 - Suspension.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 3 - Suspension
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 4 - Steering.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 4 - Steering
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes
(923.04 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 3 - Suspension.pdf
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 3 - Suspension
(342.94 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 4 - Steering.pdf
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 4 - Steering
(273.42 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes.pdf
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

A popular way to do it is making a tool from some all-thread to go where the shock was.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I use a floor jack and remove them with the suspension in the car when I can. When I rebuild a suspension complete I generally remove the springs and then drop the crossmember. Once all servicing is done I install the suspension ready to install springs into and put the unit in the car. Between a floor jack under the arm and perhaps pulling down on the car a bit I can generally install them without my Corvair spring compressor (large threaded rod that replaces shock to control the spring and release it slowly (Clark's Corvair parts sells the tool). I find the tool cumbersome to work with and to me the in the car routine seems easier. I can always resort to the spring compressor if for some reason I am unsuccessful with the floor jack... It is actually easier to use the tool with the spring a little compressed anyway...shrug.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
erco

Post by erco »

Beautiful, terribleted! I just discovered that as I disassembled my '67's front end. The springs ran out of steam with the lower CA still at a safe angle to catch reliably. I haven't reassembled yet but pretty sure it will go back together safely the same way.

One shock absorber top nut was LOCKED up, could not get it off. Finally chopped thru the shock rod below the top nut with a bolt cutter.

IMG_0284.JPG
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

erco wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:36 pm Beautiful, terribleted! I just discovered that as I disassembled my '67's front end. The springs ran out of steam with the lower CA still at a safe angle to catch reliably. I haven't reassembled yet but pretty sure it will go back together safely the same way.

One shock absorber top nut was LOCKED up, could not get it off. Finally chopped thru the shock rod below the top nut with a bolt cutter.

IMG_0284.JPG
The rear springs can be an issue if there is no powertrain in the car as there is not enough weight to compress them to install height. I installed rear springs in a 62 wagon without powertrain using a floor jack and my wife doing pullups hanging from the rear engine compartment crossmember:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”