Metal restoration

All Models and Years
my65

Metal restoration

Post by my65 »

I do not know the importance of these structures??? I am refreshing this 63 and when I cut off the lower front fenders, I discovered the rust went beyond the outer sheet metal. I dugout all the dead leaves etc. that was in the inner area and caused the rust.my question is, are these areas required for structural integrity of the frame or what :dontknow:
Attachments
IMG_0011.JPG
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
terribleted

Re: Metal restoration

Post by terribleted »

These areas are structural to a point as is all the steel in a unibody design. This steel particularly the rearward hole is part of the structure that ties the door hinge post into the rocker panel. These layers of steel also perform another important function, they keep water from pouring into the front floor when it runs down from the windshield cowl as this area is the drain path for the cowl. You need to fabricate steel into this area to replace what is missing and be sure the repair is sealed such that water cascading over the outer surface of the repair has no path to the interior.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
my65

Post by my65 »

Does anyone have a picture of what this area should look like, including under the recker panel???
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Both areas that are gone in your photo are simply a single curved wall down to the bottom where the parts meet the rocker panel. The problem is what you have there can not be repaired where it is the same as it was from the factory. The rearward rust holed piece in your photo welded to the forward rust holed piece in your photo using a flange and spot welds that went back in toward the interior of the car and can not be accessed for welding with the body assembled. The same situation exists at the very rear of your rust out where the rusted out part used to flange inward and spot welded to the flange at the front of the rocket panel (where your cut out stops). I would repair this area by cutting away the rusted out outer face of the forward pillar section and cutting and forming a piece of 18 gauge sheet metal to replace what was removed. I would make it with a 90 degree flange on the bottom to flange weld like original at the pinchweld. I would like wise cut and grind away the rusted away parts of the rear pillar section and fabricate some more 18 gauge steel to replace what was missing. I would not worry about the forward or rear flanges, I would simply make the piece fit nicely so I could weld it solid to my repaired front pillar section and the existing curve down the front of the rocker panel. I would again form a 90 degree flange at the bottom to weld to the pinchweld. The key is to fully weld all sides and make sure that your patch sits far enough into the body to allow installation of whatever you are using to replace the outer visible section of fender. The available replacement steel sections are pretty poor. Do Not cut away any more of the curve along the corner of the door...you may want to use this little original steel once you see how the replacement panels don't fit. I had to reshape a repro R fender section significantly as the curve by the door was aweful.

Here are some photos that should help you. (this is right side) Note that the photos are in order of repair. I fit shaped and modified the outer fender piece first and then removed it to perform repairs to the inner structure. This allowed me to refit the outer multiple times to make sure the steel I was welding in was out of the way far enough. I grind and blast these inner repairs as best I can before and after welding and then coat the en tire area with POR15 to protect. Sorry about the couple sideways photos but no matter how I orient them before attaching they still come up sideways:(
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

wbabst

Post by wbabst »

That's a good little tutorial by terribleted. I would agree, clean and make repairs to the metal underneath the outside panels. Everything is structural, and it will cause you more problems later on if you don't take care of it now. As mentioned once repairs are made a coating for POR-15 or some conversion coating is recommended to help prevent any left over corrosion from spreading, and protect the metal from starting to rust all over again. Good luck!
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Whenever I got another Corvair I would remove the kick/vent panels and almost always found a pile of leaves and dirt that could hold water and cause rust. If lucky you get the crap out before the sheet metal rusts badly (as in the pics. on this thread)

The point is ---- If you have never pulled out the vent panels to do an inspection I suggest you do it. Not fun, but less aggravation than welding in new sheet metal.
my65

Post by my65 »

Thanks for the help.
I have purchased new back half of the front fenders from Clark's and found some .060 sheet metal at a freind's shop. If my attempts to restore that area of the car are not to ugly, I will post them.
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

my65 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:46 pm Thanks for the help.
I have purchased new back half of the front fenders from Clark's and found some .060 sheet metal at a freind's shop. If my attempts to restore that area of the car are not to ugly, I will post them.
I would use as little as possible of the fender back half repair sections. They are not very well formed and more trouble than they are worth for anything except what you MUST use them for. I try to keep these repairs as low and rearward as possible to minimize re-shaping and re-working the replacement panel for a good fit and best possible contours.

It is a bad deal to cut the 1/4 panel front or rear up in the upper parts of the wheel opening. The lower in the wheel openings you can stay the better.Things are somewhat under tension installed and the remaining part of the wheel opening tends to bow inward after cutting, making it difficult to weld the replacement piece back such that the edge of the wheel opening is not bowed in. The panel shapes are not the greatest either. As you can see in my photos above the curve at the lower leading edge of the door was very poor on that piece, but, the shape at the wheel opening of the little bit I used was really very good. These panels are not consistent. They are poorly stamped and generally lack any sharp detail and what fits nice on one may not fit nice on the next one etc.

my65

Post by my65 »

Well, here it is, not to ugly and it will work just fine.
Attachments
As found
As found
Blasted and primed
Blasted and primed
First structural patch ever welded over head
First structural patch ever welded over head
Skin patch fitted and tacked
Skin patch fitted and tacked
First skin patch welded over head
First skin patch welded over head
Ready to prime
Ready to prime
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
killfront

Post by killfront »

Are replacement body panels available for the corvair? The reason I ask is I have a big hole in the front passenger side and idk if I will be able to make it look as good as an original panel if I just bend a piece to fit I also have a lot of spots to clean up on the wheel wells and the slight bevel they have is pretty rusted
IMG_20180226_112213.jpg
IMG_20180226_112138.jpg
Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

my65

Post by my65 »

Clark's corvair have most of the sheet metal you need on pages 188-197
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed