Front clutch gear bearing removal

All Models and Years
mjroads

Post by mjroads »

I’m needing to replace the front clutch gear bearing on my 4 speed ‘63 Greenbrier and I’m wondering if I can just remove the snap rings and use a bearing puller tool like shown in the manual to remove the old one. The bearing replacement procedure in the manual is referring to “disassembling the transmission” with steps 1-5 referring to removing detent spring, balls, 3-4 shift shaft & fork, 1-2 shift shaft & fork. I want to make sure those steps aren’t required to just remove the bearing which is step 6. I used a magnet tool to remove the loose bearings and metal scraps in the case from the damaged bearing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Last edited by mjroads on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wagon Master

Re: Front clutch gear bearing removal

Post by Wagon Master »

Yes you can. BE CAREFUL! Do not let the 4th gear slide too far out of the case. As you will lose internal needle bearings requiring a complete disassembly. Nothing is holding it in without the aluminum front cover.
Cut pairs of shim stock in varying thicknesses about 1" long. I use key stock. 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" etc.
Remove the middle sized snap ring, holding the bearing inner race onto the shaft..
Slide gear and bearing out of the case just far enough to get 1/8" stock on either side of the bearing between the big snap ring and the case.
Tap the cone shape on the 4th gear into the case with a plastic hammer till it stops.
Remove stock and replace with 1/4".
Repeat until the bearing comes lose. It shouldn't be a real tight press fit.
A LITTLE AT A TIME. I repeat. Do not let 4th gear come out of the case too far.
Tap on new bearing.
Replace snap ring(s).
Replace front cover and gasket.
mjroads

Post by mjroads »

Wagon Master wrote:Yes you can. BE CAREFUL! Do not let the 4th gear slide too far out of the case. As you will lose internal needle bearings requiring a complete disassembly. Nothing is holding it in without the aluminum front cover.
Cut pairs of shim stock in varying thicknesses about 1" long. I use key stock. 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" etc.
Remove the middle sized snap ring, holding the bearing inner race onto the shaft..
Slide gear and bearing out of the case just far enough to get 1/8" stock on either side of the bearing between the big snap ring and the case.
Tap the cone shape on the 4th gear into the case with a plastic hammer till it stops.
Remove stock and replace with 1/4".
Repeat until the bearing comes lose. It shouldn't be a real tight press fit.
A LITTLE AT A TIME. I repeat. Do not let 4th gear come out of the case too far.
Tap on new bearing.
Replace snap ring(s).
Replace front cover and gasket.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! I really appreciate it!

mjroads

Re: Front clutch gear bearing removal

Post by mjroads »

Wagon Master,
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, I had it changed in less than 30 minutes.
IMG_4831.JPG
IMG_4832.JPG

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”