Muffler exhaust questions

All Models and Years
66corsaguy

Muffler exhaust questions

Post by 66corsaguy »

1. How do you look for leaks on the exhaust other than listening ? (My hearing is crap)

2. I’m using the U bolts. How tight is tight enough or too tight?

3. How much should the muffler and exhaust pipe shake/not shake?I know to attach to the engine because the engine moves. I’m using the original attachments which i had to modify

4. How close/far away should i be from drivers side rear tire? It’s closer than passenger side

Eventually i can have someone weld it together but until everything is aligned perfect etc i don’t want to do that. I know that will help with leaks but not ready yet.

Anything else to look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
AZScott

Re: Muffler exhaust questions

Post by AZScott »

I have had the same problem on my '64 Spyder. One method I have used to discover leaks is to spray paint the joints with white paint. I used VHT white ceramic header paint. After a short ride, leaks will show up as a dark stain on the white pipes.
ImageIMG_6955 by AZScott, on Flickr
The picture isn't the greatest but I think you can see what I mean. The joint in the picture is one that I have had to work with re-positioning the clamps to get a better seal.
Good luck, Hope this helps
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

What exhaust system are you installing. If it is a proper stock replacement with proper hangers you should not have to modify any mounting. Fit on the stock system is not the same left and right. Position to be as parallel as possible to the valve cover and rotated to allow a good clearance everywhere. Do not forget to check with suspension hanging and loaded for clearance before committing and really tightening the clamps hard. Once everything is positioned nicely you then tighten the manifold nuts and muffler clamps. If the pipes are properly sized they should clamp pretty nicely. You must tighten the clamps enough to crush the outer pipe slightly for a good seal and solid non shifting connection. Welded is better if done well.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

My mufflers are aftermarket from Raffe and a little shorter. I have my clamps holding the pipes because that’s what reaches with the stock bracket. Should i make sure the actual muffler has a strap also?
Are the mufflers supposed to be horizontal vertical or somewhere in between or does it matter?

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Don't really know what to tell you with non stock stuff. The exhaust is best secured using the muffler not the tail pipe...the stock setups securely mounts the mufflers so there is minimal tendency to try to twist downward . Mounted angle on stock mufflers is around between 45 degrees-ish and vertical.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

terribleted wrote:Don't really know what to tell you with non stock stuff. The exhaust is best secured using the muffler not the tail pipe...the stock setups securely mounts the mufflers so there is minimal tendency to try to twist downward . Mounted angle on stock mufflers is around between 45 degrees-ish and vertical.

Ok thanks Ted. That’s all real helpful. I’m going to go in for final adjustment soon !! And check for leaks.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”