110 with Powerglide White Smoke

All Models and Years
Vairamp

110 with Powerglide White Smoke

Post by Vairamp »

I have a 110 with powerglide that blows clouds of white smoke for about a minute. After that it’s fine! Engine sounds and runs great. I don’t have any info as to what was done in the past to this engine.
Could someone give me a rundown list of the most to least likely things to check or test? At what point would it be worth getting it rebuilt?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
64powerglide

Re: 110 with Powerglide White Smoke

Post by 64powerglide »

Four years ago when I got my 64 the white smoke was there, bad modulator valve. It was sucking trans fluid through the vacuum balance tube, goes right into the intake on both carbs. Failed diaphragm in the modulator valve. That would the first thing I would look for.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

I was thinking the same thing. Here is some supplemental information...

The vacuum modulator on the right side of the Powerglide automatic transmission has a limited lifespan.
Clark's Corvair Parts wrote:If your modulator is more than 10 years old, you are really on borrowed time. The inner reinforced rubber diaphragm is really VERY THIN (0.017-0.019) and is weakened by hot PG fluid and constant flexing.
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=135

If you suspect that automatic transmission fluid may be drawn into the engine via the vacuum modulator, you can raise the car and place it on jack stands, and then crawl underneath to inspect the vacuum modulator. Try disconnecting the rubber hose that connects to the vacuum modulator and check it for oil content inside the hose. The hose should be dry and the vacuum modulator should not be allowing transmission fluid to pass from the transmission to the vacuum hose.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

THANKS! I’ll let you know if that’s the fix!

Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

The modulator was changed and it still smoked. Now it has finally stopped puffing! Mechanic doesn’t know why.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: Perhaps some residual oil that was causing the smoke (from the vacuum modulator?) remained in the vacuum line and system and took time to burn off after the repair had been made. :dontknow:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

bbodie52 wrote::think: Perhaps some residual oil that was causing the smoke (from the vacuum modulator?) remained in the vacuum line and system and took time to burn off after the repair had been made. :dontknow:

Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

bbodie52 wrote::think: Perhaps some residual oil that was causing the smoke (from the vacuum modulator?) remained in the vacuum line and system and took time to burn off after the repair had been made. :dontknow:
I hope that’s what it was! Kinda stumped him too!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”