Random thought about installing an ECM in a Corvair

All Models and Years
Apittslife

Random thought about installing an ECM in a Corvair

Post by Apittslife »

1966 Corsa 140HP / 180HP engines

Does anyone have any exsperiance with trying to put Fuel injection & Disrtibutorless or electronic Ignition System from a V-6 GM product? Just a Thought that rattled around in my head before I dropped off to sleep. I was wondering if the fuel mapping might be close enough between the LM corvair engine & a 2.8L or 3.1L engine?
lostboy

Re: Random thought about installing an ECM in a Corvair

Post by lostboy »

Apittslife wrote:1966 Corsa 140HP / 180HP engines

Does anyone have any exsperiance with trying to put Fuel injection & Disrtibutorless or electronic Ignition System from a V-6 GM product? Just a Thought that rattled around in my head before I dropped off to sleep. I was wondering if the fuel mapping might be close enough between the LM corvair engine & a 2.8L or 3.1L engine?
I doubt it would be close enough. Also are you talking multiport or throttle body injection? If I had a 140 I’d probably use a single carb manifold with some sort of throttle body injection. I have seen the fi tech in action on a 63 impala.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Ted Brown's adaptation of a GM EFI/DIS system to the Corvair has been on the market for several years, and is also sold by Clark's Corvair Parts. I am currently saving for the purchase of that system for my 1966 Corsa, and am looking forward to that upgrade and moving away from carburetors and the distributor. Are you familiar with the system he offers?

:link: http://www.corvairefi.com/
This injection system was started due to the many attempts by others to create an EFI kit in to the hands of Corvair Owners that were reasonably priced and not so complicated that it could not be used by the masses. This injection system was not designed as a racing venue, but a performance and reliability enhancing project for the average owner to draw benefit from the advancement of electronics.

This is a GM based system and uses all the “normal” types of GM sensors. All were chosen based on availability, price and dependability.

I am Ted Brown and I designed this system to be simple and complete and to give little to no trouble with easy troubleshooting. This is not my full-time job. I will be able to support the system, but not as a full-time mechanic. Please evaluate your skills and the skills of others before you embark on this journey which is well worth the trouble.

Email: ted@corvair-efi.com

Brown Injection Systems, LLC
105 Sunrise Harbor Dr
Anderson, SC 29621
864-617-1776

:woo: :clap:
4 Throttle Body Injection

Uses most of the linkage to control throttle, but can also be modified to use cable pull. 4 throttle bodies that will not use progressive at this time. The 140 engine air filter system will also fit this unit and will also feature a no-return fuel system from the engine bay.

Under development and testing. To be shown at the Helen, GA show April 2018, available late 2018. Current Brown EFI 140 customers will be able to upgrade/trade-in current system to 4 TBIs. Details, cost, etc are still under development.

Turbo model also under development.

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.c ... ry=fuelinj
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Thankyou, to both of you for the replies.

To: Brad, No I didnt know about Mr. Brown's system. But I do now! I was thinking about Multi-Port, exspecially for the Turbo engine. But Throttle body injection would work on the 140 HP motor nicely. Well Now, I have a couple more things to add to my list of things. LOL

Again Thanks,
Sincerely Paul
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Brad forgot to mention the in-between ignition only solution Megajolt, I made a guide for conversions:

http://www.corvairnut.com/EDIS.htm

If you need injection as well you can run the same exact ignition and control it with a Megasquirt controller, but you’ll need the injection related parts to make it work obviously. Most people just weld injector bosses into the stock log manifold if going multipoint, or they do a TBI style system like Ted’s.

For a turbo you’ll want multipoint, simply because the draw through configuration is terrible at accurate fuel metering.

That also means you can have a blow off valve, so your Corvair makes that cool sound when you shift. Have a look at the Megasquirt documentation, it’ll give you ideas if nothing else.
Click it!
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Thank you miniman82.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”