'64 transaxel dipstick attach question

All Models and Years
AZScott

'64 transaxel dipstick attach question

Post by AZScott »

In the process of putting my '64 Spyder together. It's been a while since I had it apart and I am trying to remember how the dipstick tube attaches to the transaxel. I thought it would go in as the first pitcher shows, however it does not allow the dipstick to stick out far enough through the rear firewall for the rubber grommet to fit correctly (second picture). I thought maybe the bracket should attach the back of the engine bell housing, but the fin on either side of the bolt will not allow it. Maybe my picture is correct, not sure. Appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

ImageIMG_6882 by AZScott, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6884 by AZScott, on Flickr
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
64powerglide

Re: '64 transaxel dipstick attach question

Post by 64powerglide »

That's correct, the boot slides over the tube and goes down into the hole. You can bend it a tad to center it in the hole.
Attachments
dipstick 001.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks Jeff, I thought the gasket went the other way. Your picture cleared it up. Thanks again!!!
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Your photo is correct. If you care the correct bracket hardware is an externally toothed lock washer and a jam nut per the factory assembly manual.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”