alignment specs

All Models and Years
skipvair

alignment specs

Post by skipvair »

I have received a lot of input that doesnt agree with other input on this. I have a 66 corsa 140, totally restored that just doesnt handle right.

I just had this car aligned for first time since restoration. Everything is new. It was at 7.3 degrees positive castor, and they left it there. I dont mind extra steering effort, but to me it should be straight as an arrow. Right now it is very vague feeling. "Floaty" if you will. I am at 1/8 toe in on front and rear and just a tad of negative camber rear, and almost straight up front. I want this to handle like a sports car and it isn't close. My other 65 Corsa is a lot closer. Do you have any recommended specs? (66 corsa 140)

Also, they struggled to give me any toe-in in rear. Are the adjustable strut rods supposed to be loosened during alignment? It seems they should be slack then tightened after alignment.

I will sacrifice some tire wear for good handling. Won't be driving daily. Should I just go with stock specs? will more toe make it wander less? Is there any problem with so much caster? I thought Caster was what gave you that straight-ahead attitude.

Frank
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
Nickshu

Re: alignment specs

Post by Nickshu »

Factory specs for 1966 are:

Front camber 1 degree +/- 0.5
Front caster 3 degrees +/- 0.5
Front toe in 1/4" +/- 1/16" (total toe)
Steering axis inclination 6.5 degrees +/- 0.5

Rear camber 1 degree +/- 0.5
Rear toe in 1/4" +/- 1/16" (total toe)

The above is from the DIY Corvair Alignment book that Clark's sells.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by Nickshu on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Do you have a copy of the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual? I have attached the applicable sections for your reference.

1965 Corvair alignment specifications are on the first page of the SPECIFICATIONS section.

Front wheel alignment procedures are found on SUSPENSION Pages 3-3 & 3-4.

Rear wheel alignment procedures are described on REAR AXLE AND REAR SUSPENSION Page 4-25.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:chevy:

FRONT SUSPENSION
  • Caster: Positive 2° ± ½° *
  • Camber: Positive 1° ± ½° *
  • Toe-in (Total): ¼" to ⅜"

* Within ½° of opposite side.

REAR SUSPENSION
  • Camber: Negative 1° to 0
  • Toe-in (Total): ⅛" to ⅜"

==============================================================================================

:think: See below for performance options and recommendations...

Dialing in the suspension

:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/setup.html
Bryan Blackwell wrote:Alignment.

Once you've got all these cool parts in place, you'll need to align the car to use the tires to their maximum. Alignment plays a very important role in how well the car handles, and if you really want to understand how the alignment specs can influence the handling, I suggest you read a book devoted to the subject, since I've only included a brief description of what effects what.

There are three values for each setting: Factory is from the '65 shop manual ('66 up is a even more conservative). Street is a bit radical, but the car won't be too twitchy and you won't kill your street tires. Autocross is what I found worked pretty well for me, you shouldn't consider it gospel, tho, just a good starting point. Also, remember that I am using *radial* tires, these values will not work very well on bias-ply tires (such as Hoosier Autocrossers). For you early owners, the factory specs are a bit different, but these values should apply as a starting point for a more performance minded car.

Camber.
This is the key one. In essence, the tire tries to roll under and corner on the sidewall so we crank in some negative camber to conteract this. However, negative camber will wear out the inside shoulder of the tire more quickly, so think carefully. For both earlies and lates, the front is adjustable, but the early rear camber can only be set by changing the ride height. You can either cut the springs or use clamps.
Factory. Front: Positive 1 degree +/- 0.5. Rear: Negative 1 to zero degrees.
Street. Front: Negative 0.5 degree. Rear: Negative 1.0 degree.
Autocross. Front: Negative 1.0 degree. Rear: Negative 1.5 degrees.

Caster.
Caster affects both self centering, and also helps crank in more camber. It's only adjustable on the front suspension.
Factory. Front: Positive 2 +/- 0.5 degrees.
Street. Front: Positive 4 degrees.
Autocross. Front: Positive 4 degrees.

Toe.
This has a lot to do with how the car turns in, but better turn in comes at the expense of stability. The factory setting is really too much for any radials. The value is the *total*. Be *very* careful if you try using toe out and drive the car on the street.
Factory. Front: 1/4" to 3/8" toe in. Rear: 1/8" to 3/8" toe in.
Street: Front: 1/8" toe in. Rear: 1/8" toe in.
Autocross: Front: 1/8" toe out. Rear: 1/8" toe in.
:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION - SPECIFICATIONS.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION - SPECIFICATIONS
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 3 - FRONT SUSPENSION.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 3 - FRONT SUSPENSION
(4.67 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 4 - REAR AXLE AND REAR SUSPENSION.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 4 - REAR AXLE AND REAR SUSPENSION
(10.42 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Thanks guys. Any overall recommendations on very stable specs for street. What makes the cat feel “tight” and stable at speeds? Even the answers here have a range.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Even with radial tires I have always stayed close to the factory specs except have always run my toe-in front and rear at 1/16-1/8" due to radial tires. Handling is fine.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

A related question: do the specs change as the rim diameter changes. Are the specs above only for 13” rims or are they correct for 14’s and 15’s ?
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”