painting the transaxle

All Models and Years
Jim in Wis.

painting the transaxle

Post by Jim in Wis. »

A friend has his 65 Monza 4 speed in my shop. The engine was seized and it needs body work. I took the power unit out and have the engine all apart. While we are waiting for parts and stuff, I thought I would clean up and paint the transaxle. Did Chevy paint these and if so what color? He would like it to be like original if possible, but if they weren't painted at all I thought maybe grey or silver. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim S.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: painting the transaxle

Post by azdave »

I've never found them painted except by a prior owner. Many people paint them with paint that simulates bare cast metal like Duplicolor DE1651
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Jim in Wis. wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:44 pm A friend has his 65 Monza 4 speed in my shop. The engine was seized and it needs body work. I took the power unit out and have the engine all apart. While we are waiting for parts and stuff, I thought I would clean up and paint the transaxle. Did Chevy paint these and if so what color? He would like it to be like original if possible, but if they weren't painted at all I thought maybe grey or silver. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim S.
They were never painted, therefore immediately rusted. First get it clean. Scrape and/or wire brush the rust and crud off as well as possble and prime with a high heat primer and then with a high heat grey that simulates rough cast iron. When I did my transaxle I lightly top coated with a high heat clear. The clear helped give it a "brand new" cast appearance. For the differential top cover, I painted it in dull silver/steel color. You could do that on the transmission side covers too. I also blasted and refinished the axle yokes and replaced the nuts , bolts and hardware. This was as close to as original as I could get and looked great.
1964 Monza convertible 110/PG
Jim in Wis.

Post by Jim in Wis. »

Thanks guys - I have it sort of clean, I'll work on some more today (it's rainy and cold anyway).
I had never worked on a Corvair before - taking the motor apart was interesting and sort of fun. One of the cylinders was full of rust and the piston was stuck really tight. On a "normal" motor that makes it real hard to disassemble, but with this one I could take the cyl./piston off and put it in a press. I guess the only thing to be saved there is the connecting rod.
I have a few old Volvos, but I'm starting to like this Corvair stuff too!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

There are four CORSA club chapters listed in Wisconsin, and it looks like the closest to you would be Milwaukee Corvair Club in Milwaukee (about 55 miles - appears to be well-organized and active) or North East Wisconsin Corvair in Kaukauna (about 60 miles).

Capital City Corvair Club [109 Miles] 2795 Alleghney Dr., Madison, WI
:link: http://www.capitalcitycorvairs.com Email: dadblanco@aol.com

North East Wisconsin Corvair [60 Miles] 2205 Sullivan Ave., Kaukauna WI
:link: http://www.newcc.weebly.com Email: arndt2205@sbcglobal.net

Head of the Lakes Corvair Assn. [391 Miles] 704 E 5th St, Superior WI
:link: http://www.edselmotors.com/hlcahome.html

:google: :search: I also discovered this Corvair club in Milwaukee (for some reason it is not listed on the CORSA club directory)...

The Milwaukee Corvair Club [55 Miles]
:link: http://www.milwaukeecorvairclub.org/ CONTACTS :link: http://www.milwaukeecorvairclub.org/con ... rum.html#/

Newsletter sample:
The Pushrod - October 2017 - Milwaukee.pdf
The Pushrod - October 2017 - Milwaukee
(2.41 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
We're a bunch of guys and girls who love Corvairs.

We're a chapter of CORSA, the Corvair Society of America. We are committed to enjoying and preserving Chevy's most unusual and only rear engine vehicle. We enjoy the comradery of friends with similar interests in any vintage cars, but especially those who find the unique 1960-1969 Corvairs special. We enjoy cruise-ins, car shows, talking about our cars, working on our cars, but most of all driving them.

Would you like to attend one of our meetings and meet some of our members? We meet on the last Sunday of January, February, March, and October, 3pm at the Albanese's Roadhouse in Waukesha. Other monthly meetings are held in conjunction with shows and special events. Check the Events page for details.

If you decide to join the club, annual dues are only $18.

You don't have to own a Corvair, just appreciate them.
:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”