Heater

All Models and Years
naderwaswrong

Heater

Post by naderwaswrong »

If you do not need the heater system to function, is there any downside to eliminating the components? Thanks
terribleted

Re: Heater

Post by terribleted »

Air outlets from the engine sheet metal to the heater hoses should be sealed up, but, other than a possible issue on re-sale where the next owner might prefer a heater I can think of none.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Like terribleted said, if you remove the heating system components, you should block-off the sheet metal to heater hose outlets, ESPECIALLY the outlet on top shroud (a.k.a. "turkey roaster). Otherwise, your engine cooling air will blow into the engine compartment instead of through the cooling fins. See attached photo. (I'm assuming you intend the remove the entire heating system, including the hoses.) ::-):
Attachments
engine_shroud.jpg
naderwaswrong

Post by naderwaswrong »

Thanks. Most of the heat system is missing or in poor repair. It being a convertible and living in Florida, I don't see that I would ever need heat.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Does the rain or humidity in your area create a periodic need for a windshield defogger/defroster? If so you may have a need for that function from the heater system.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

bbodie52 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:02 am Does the rain or humidity in your area create a periodic need for a windshield defogger/defroster? If so you may have a need for that function from the heater system.
This indeed. You will have no or very little defog capability during a hot afternoon thundershower.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
naderwaswrong

Post by naderwaswrong »

Like I said, so much of the system is missing, and on this car it would not be worth it to mess with. I'll save what is left in a box. However for defroster (defogger) a small marine bilge blower married to the defroster tube with a toggle switch should work fine.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

naderwaswrong wrote:Like I said, so much of the system is missing, and on this car it would not be worth it to mess with. I'll save what is left in a box. However for defroster (defogger) a small marine bilge blower married to the defroster tube with a toggle switch should work fine.
Yes that should work. I have my gas heater setup so I can run just the blower-motor and it clears up any windshield fog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”