Adjusting my 60 Drum brakes

All Models and Years
Corvair88

Adjusting my 60 Drum brakes

Post by Corvair88 »

I have been wondering how to best adjust the brakes on my 60 non self adjusting brakes.. :banghead:

I have heard some people say to adjust so you get about one rotation of the wheel when spinning it with some force.

My factory manual says 12clicks front 20 clicks back.

Some people say adjust until the wheel does not turn and then loosen until there is no drag.

Also on the last option: would that mean free spinning wheel with no contact with the shoes what so ever, or does it mean adjust until the wheel turns freely but you can hear a part of the shoe still touches the drum giving a little friction?

All suggestions welcome:)

What do you guys recommend?
Jerry Whitt

Re: Adjusting my 60 Drum brakes

Post by Jerry Whitt »

One lesson learned over many years of experience is the factory manual is not always correct.

Several suggestions:

1. Take all of the drums off and measure the diameters. If you do not have an accurate measuring tool, most auto parts stores will be happy to measure. Generally, .060 over size is ok. If the diameter is already over that, you will need to replace.

Next, pull the wheel cylinders apart and inspect for rust. Brake fluid will absorb water from atmosphere.

If any signs of rust, wheel cylinders will need rebuilding .

Check the master cylinder. A visual inspection will include the
Reservoir and then where the pedal
Attaches to the plunger going into the cylinder. No signs of fluid allowed. Any fluid demands a new or rebuilt master cylinder.

Let us know your results for further
suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Corvair88

Post by Corvair88 »

Thanks for the suggestions,

Drums are good, cylinders are good, pads are good and system is bled. It was all replaced about 4 years ago. I'm mostly wondering about the different techniques of adjusting and what is most preferred:)
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

"Also on the last option: would that mean free spinning wheel with no contact with the shoes what so ever, or does it mean adjust until the wheel turns freely but you can hear a part of the shoe still touches the drum giving a little friction?"

Right or wrong, this is the method I've used for years.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I'll second that, tighten until the wheel just stops then back it off until it spins with just a slight noise.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”