Corsa idle problem

All Models and Years
Chunk

Corsa idle problem

Post by Chunk »

Hello, I'm new to this site so please bear with me. I am having a hard time getting my 1965 corsa 140 to idle and run properly. I have done the following replaced the fuel pump, harmonic balancer, fuel tank was cleaned,installed a fuel filter prior to pump, checked compression and have an average of 155 psi on the engine, replaced vacuum hoses and checked for vacuum leaks, new plugs,wires points cap and rotor timing set to spec. Also installed 2 refurbished primary carbs from corvair ranch. The car starts up right away but I can't get it to idle below 1700 rpm. Prior to replacing the carbs I had a temperature differential with the driver side running hotter than the passenger side I switched carbs and problem switched sides that why I bought other carbs. I would greatly appreciate any input as to correcting this. Thanks.
Chunk
Jerry Whitt

Re: Corsa idle problem

Post by Jerry Whitt »

First thought, are both choke plates opening completely? When cold and started, the choke plates should be pulled open about 1/8th of an inch by the choke pull offs. Then as the engine warms up, the plates should completely open. If the plates do not open completely, the fast idle cam linkage will hold the idle speed really high. This could account for the high idle.

Sometimes the linkage actually is bent causing the high idle.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

With the choke mechanism fully disengaged (engine at normal operating temperatures), the fast idle cam shown in the illustration below should not be in contact with the throttle linkage. With the engine idling the throttle linkage should be in physical contact with the idle speed screw shown below.

I would recommend taking time to view the two videos shown below. Pay particular attention to the tuneup procedure's for adjusting the carburetors and their initial idle speed settings, using a strip of paper to determine the initial contact point of each idle speed set screw. The procedures outlined in the videos do a pretty good job of taking you through the process of establishing the proper idle speed settings and confirming proper throttle linkage settings, adjustments, and operation without binding occuring.
Carburetor Choke Mechanism - Fast Idle.jpg
Carburetor Idle Screws.jpg
Vacuum advance hose that is connected to the right carburetor should be connected to the spark port (the vertical tube shown in the illustration). If it is connected to the other port it would be providing full intake manifold vacuum to the distributor vacuum advance system at all times, forcing the ignition timing to advance to the maximum amount applied by the vacuum advance system. The vacuum advance mechanism should not be active when the engine is idling at less than 800 RPM. Those disconnecting the vacuum advance from the distributor cause the idle speed to be greatly reduced?

Tuning the Corvair Engine — Part 1

Tuning The Corvair Engine — Part 2

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

The first thing I would do is check the accelerator linkage swivel. If it is turned out to far the accelerator rod could hold the carbs from closing. See the image, click on it to enlarge it, it's number 33 near the bottom of the image.
Attachments
Accelerator rod.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”