cylinder prep: ball hone vs flapper wheel

All Models and Years
dave t

cylinder prep: ball hone vs flapper wheel

Post by dave t »

Can I use the flapper wheel to prep the cylinders instead of using a ball hone? I will guess that it will take longer per cylinder but my time is less expensive that purchasing a ball hone for a one time job.

I was given a nice set of pistons & cylinders for my FC 110 build. They came out of a 200 mile engine where the crank broke. they all look almost new. I intend to install new chrome rings. I was told to prep the cylinders using a ball hone to give them a cross hatch to aid in the ring break-in. I have an abrasive flapper wheel in my stock of tools. A ball hone goes for about $50.00 (give or take) on line.

My background:
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe 6-door
New paint
Rebuilt suspension, 4-speed trans & 3:55 diff.
1 year old rebuilt engine fried due to oil pressure regulator stuck and no oil pressure.

I am a parts guy by trade. I have a good knowledge of the entire Corvair due to my knowledge of the associated parts. I have taken a long block to a complete installation but I just have no experience with subtleties of the engine interior. This is my first total engine rebuild.

I welcome your input & opinions
terribleted

Re: cylinder prep: ball hone vs flapper wheel

Post by terribleted »

Neither is really ideal. The cylinder should be installed in a proper jig and installed type pressure applied before honing or boring. That said for the minimal make a new scratch so new rings will seat that you need either should be fine. be sure to measure for proper skirt to cylinder clearances before assembly. Too much slop will ruin some pistons and jugs really fast.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

dave t wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:25 pmI was given a nice set of pistons & cylinders for my FC 110 build. They came out of a 200 mile engine where the crank broke. they all look almost new. I intend to install new chrome rings.
why do you want to install new chrome rings? the cylinders look almost new & their from a 200 mile engine. id use them as they are with whatever rings were in there.

-Scott V.
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

Agree with Scott V, if they were properly prepared just install them and use them. Measure them and if they were done right you don't have any prep to do.

I never use chrome rings, only moly or cast. Chrome is a PITA in my opinion.

HTH
Marty Scarr
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

terribleted wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:13 pmBe sure to measure for proper skirt to cylinder clearances before assembly. Too much slop will ruin some pistons and jugs really fast.
Absolutely a true statement although maybe not as fast as not enough clearance.
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

My friend is a professional engine builder. He is more of an engineer then just a builder that does R&D work for GM built turbo systems and engines for Budweiser offshore racing teams etc. Anyway he would always use a ball hone on the cylinders when he would receive blocks from his machine shop. He would drive his machinist crazy.
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Re-using the rings and pistons on a low mileage engine is logical.

If for some reason you have to hone the cylinders, keep in mind the cross hatch angle is important and best done by a proper machine. Honing does remove material and piston skirt clearance is important.

If this is a money saving situation and you have to hone the cylinders, go with plain cast iron rings. They seat fast and tolerate a less than optimal cylinder surface. A good cast iron ring is just as strong, it just wears faster. Typically most Corvair folks only put a few thousand miles on their hobby car a year so building for a lot of mileage is not an issue.

Jeff at Calif. Corvair sells the Grant cast iron piston rings. I used them once in an engine and from hour one the engine ran great, no oil usage, still going strong.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

I'm not familiar with a "flapper wheel" but I'm quite familiar with a ball hone. The ball hone leaves a beautiful cross hatch (if you motivate the drill-motor up and down appropriately) and a beautiful surface-quality. I'd break the glaze with 20-seconds or so of well-oiled ball hone; if I did anything at all.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
dave t

Post by dave t »

Thanks guys for your input. I just talled with the engine builder I got the parts from. He wants to install my rods for me & said we can hone the cylinders at the same time. He's the one who said to hone them. He knows what He's doing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”