What is this

All Models and Years
vectorit

What is this

Post by vectorit »

Just looking for input on what I'm looking at here.
It came out of a 1963 Monza convertible to be rebuilt, but since the work was done the engine has not made it's way back to the car yet.

Thoughts?
Attachments
20170528_185817.jpg
20170528_185857.jpg
20170528_190000.jpg
Last edited by vectorit on Tue May 30, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: What is this

Post by bbodie52 »

vectorit wrote:Mon May 29, 2017 11:08 pm

Not entirely new to vairs, but am new to the 1st gen vair.
Working on a deal to get a 1963 Monza convertible, and trying to figure out what it has for an engine.
Looks like a 140, with a turbo system.
Can't tell if it's original to the car, but it is all new but has been sitting for a couple years.
So, here I am. Frantically researching what this could be.
Turbocharged Corvair.jpg
This is not your average, run-of-the-mill, Corvair grocery getter. I was able to figure out a little about the intercooler but I don't know enough to identify the custom turbocharger or fuel system. It is fitted with an alternator (1965-69), but does not have a harmonic balancer — just a standard early design (1960-63) crankshaft pulley. Hard to know what the base engine was. The engine serial number and head casting numbers might help a little, but everything has been heavily customized. But it does have a magnesium cooling fan from a 1964 or later engine.. It does not appear to have 140 hp cylinder heads, but some custom secondary intake manifold modifications. No way to tell how customized the internal engine components are, or its state of tune (racing only, street, etc.) If it can be made to run again, it may take significant research, investment, time, and experimentation if there is no documentation or contact with the original builder. :dontknow:
UP FOR AUCTION IS A BRAND NEW SPEARCO INTERCOOLER 1-992. $400.00

THIS IS A VERY WELL MADE BAR AND PLATE INTERCOOLER 3.5" INCH THICK OVERALL SIZE IS 20" X 12.25" X 3.50" 2.50" INCH OUTLET CORE SIZE 18.48 X 6.00X 3.50 MUCH STRONGER THAN MOST THIN METAL UNITS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. PLEASE ASK ANY QUESTIONS NISSAN DATSUN FORD MUSTANG DODGE MAZDA TOYOTA CHRYSLER GMC CHEVROLET TURBO SUPERCHARGER 300ZX Z31.
ImageImage
:link: http://www.2040-parts.com/brand-new-spe ... -i1085970/

:link: http://www.turboneticsinc.com/performance/
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
vectorit

Post by vectorit »

Thanks Brad for the reply.
I realize my pictures are not the best, and the info is lacking right now.
I was pressed for time, and the owner had just begun to offer everything to me for sale.
So I was just trying to take everything in mentally, and look at the condition of the car then to the mechanical parts.
Here are 2 more pictures of the engine, maybe they are helpful maybe not.

Appreciate the input.
Attachments
20170528_185922.jpg
20170528_185929.jpg
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Not mentioned so far... the fuel rail visible above the valve cover. This engine was fuel injected! Is the rest of the EFI system still in the car? If it's there and you post a photo, maybe someone can identify it too. Very cool custom engine. I wonder if Ray Sedman (American Pi) was involved...
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Pretty Injenious turbo setup but as bbodie said who knows what the actual engine is. I do see 3 separate fuel injectors. It looks like a t3 turbo from the hot side. Spearco is great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Cylinder Head Casting Number.jpg
The cylinder head casting number in your photograph (shown above), 3856759 is from a small valve 110 hp 1965 engine with 164 cubic inches of displacement. (The intake and exhaust valves on the 110 hp head are the same size as those used on the turbocharged Corvair engines). The original compression ratio with these heads was 9:1. By comparison, the standard turbocharged heads used with Corvairs always had a compression ratio of 8:1. Each head on your engine originally only had a mounting pad for a single carburetor on the intake manifold. The distributor on your engine appears to be stock, with an original points and condenser arrangement. There is no way to tell what the initial timing setting is from the photograph, or whether or not the centrifugal advance has been modified.

If the rest of the base engine matches the cylinder head casting number, the engine itself would have a long stroke 164 cubic inch crankshaft. To support an exotic turbocharged installation such as that shown on your engine, the bottom end may have been beefed up somewhat with modifications to the connecting rods and possibly forged pistons. The original camshaft in this engine was the same for both the 110 hp and 140 hp engines. The actual camshaft grind that you will find in this engine and the compression ratio may have been modified. The bell housing is that of the design used for a Powerglide two speed automatic transmission. That transmission never worked well in conjunction with a turbocharged engine, and General Motors never produced any turbocharged Corvair engines that were mated with a Powerglide transmission. It appears that the crankshaft oil seal on the bell housing is missing.

It appears that the bell housing had developed a crack at one time, because it looks like it has been welded to repair the crack. The valve covers, push rod tubes and cylinder barrels were all painted, apparently to customize their appearance. Somebody spent a lot of money and time modifying this engine for high-performance. The exotic nature of the engine may indicate that it was built for dragracing or some form of competition. It is unlikely that this engine was ever intended for use on the street. If you are looking for a Corvair that will be intended for street use, replacing this engine may be necessary. It may be possible to sell this engine on eBay to someone who would enjoy tinkering with its exotic capabilities.
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I managed to find one other Corvair with pictures on the Internet that included a Spearco intercooler…

Brad Bodie
notched

Post by notched »

bbodie52 wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 8:37 am I managed to find one other Corvair with pictures on the Internet that included a Spearco intercooler…

Tha'ts Jonathan McCreery's car.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

Jonathan's intercooler in that picture, is actually a Subaru intercooler. I know because it is in my attic along with all the plumbing, turbo, carbs etc. I bought it off him 5-6 years ago. It will be going on my 63 in the next year.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

toms73novass wrote:Jonathan's intercooler in that picture, is actually a Subaru intercooler. I know because it is in my attic along with all the plumbing, turbo, carbs etc. I bought it off him 5-6 years ago. It will be going on my 63 in the next year.

Lol funny I was just going to write last night looks like a Subaru setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

lostboy wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 2:42 pm Lol funny I was just going to write last night looks like a Subaru setup.
No...This is a Subaru setup. Details later. ::-):
DAW_0023-001.JPG
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”