interior light

All Models and Years
skipvair

interior light

Post by skipvair »

66 corsa - Interior light works on passenger door only. not on the light switch or the left door. Any ideas?
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: interior light

Post by bbodie52 »

Image :dontknow:

The opening entry on this thread states "66 Corsa", but it did not specify whether it was a coupe or convertible. Interior lights and wiring for a convertible are different from that of a coupe. I looked back through your previous threads and found a photograph of what looks like a 1965 Corsa coupe. The taillights and trim components below the rear bumper are 1965 items. If your Corvair is truly a 1966 Corsa the wiring color codes may be different from those shown below.

In the condensed schematic diagram below, I have attempted to display the dome light circuit in the Corvair. The wiring diagram was taken from the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual, so the color codes for the wires may not be correct for your 1966 Corvair.

In the diagram, 12 V DC is routed to the main light switch via a wire labeled 20 B/OR. At the connection point another wire with the same color code is spliced and continues to a connector that leads to the Dome lamp. The wire color code on the other side of the connector is labeled 18 W. This is the source for battery voltage that has been extended from the fuse block (not shown on this diagram). In order to complete the circuit, chassis ground is required. There are three sources of chassis ground that are possible in this circuit. A ground from any one of these ground sources will complete the circuit and illuminate the Dome lamp. In the Corvair, turning the main light switch knob to the left will apply a ground connection to the Dome light wire labeled 18 OR (via the Dome light circuit ground wires labeled 20 B/W). Likewise, opening either the right or left door will close the switch on that door and ground the circuit, which will illuminate the dome light.

Since the ground circuit for both door switches and the connection to the main light switch are all connected together, your Dome lamp should illuminate when either door is opened, or when the main light switch is turned fully counterclockwise. I am guessing that your Dome light illuminates when activated by the main light switch or when you open the passenger door, but not when opening the driver side door. Any one of these actions should be applying a ground to the 18 OR wire that leads to the Dome lamp. Since all three ground sources are wired together, but only the driver side door is failing to activate the dome light it is reasonable to assume that the switch in the driver side door jamb is faulty. There could be a broken wire or a corroded/dirty contact in the switch. You should check for a broken wire or try cleaning the contact in the left switch to see if you can correct the fault. If a replacement switch is needed, the part may be ordered from Clark's Corvair Parts. Catalog details are shown below.
Dome Lamp Circuit Detail.jpg
Corvair Combined Wiring Schematics
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=84B

Part number C2191: 62-69 DOOR JAMB SWITCH (3/8-24 FINE) 68-69 LEFT=C7538- 62-63 CHECK YOUR THREADS!!!

Weight: 0 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 84B,184,231
Price: $ 8.45

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I am sorry I said 66.. it is indeed a 65 as you noted. I guess a Freudian slip came out where I wanted a 66 when I bought the 65. I spent an hour on Clark's site looking for a door jamb switch which I suspected, but I could not find it in the searched I tried. Thank you for the page. I will replace both 52 year old door jamb switches. The headlight switch is erratic on the gauge dimmer too, so I suspect that it and the door jamb switch are both just old and crusty. I ordered a headlight switch and will order the door switches tomorrow. If that doesnt fizx it, I will run t down. ground problem , as that is all the switches do anyway. It was just a little strange to me that 2 of 3 sourcces to ground would be bad, but I am sure it is probable.

Thanks, again,

Frank
Frank Metasavage

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

skipvair wrote:...I spent an hour on Clark's site looking for a door jamb switch which I suspected, but I could not find it in the searched I tried...
I'm not surprised at your difficulty in finding the door switch on the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog. The search engine is somewhat difficult to master, but I have gotten used to it.
:search:
For example: if I were to type in the words "door switch", I would be unsuccessful. I have given it too much information. But I have found that if I keep my search as simple as possible, I may have more success. In this case I limited my search to one word: "switch". By using a simple and not too descriptive search I was presented with a long list of switches. Now I had to narrow my search… The list of switches produced an alphabetical list of switch types. The ninth item down showed: "door jamb".
:whoa:
Page 84B! I clicked on that page number and there it was, half page down were several door jamb switches! So when searching around the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog, don't manually browse, turning page after page. That would take forever! I would recommend beginning with a very basic word that focuses on a category, and see what that gets you. Sometimes it is trial and error with a series of false starts. But after a while you may get the feel for the temperamental search engine and have more success.
Brad Bodie
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

skipvair wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 8:23 pm I spent an hour on Clark's site looking for a door jamb switch which I suspected, but I could not find it in the searched I tried.
This is where the paper catalog works wonders!!! Its index is very complete and the catalog organization make finding most things pretty easy without even using the index.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

THANKS guys! it turned out to be both the headlight switch AND the door jamb switch..
Frank Metasavage

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Maybe it is no coincidence that the Clark's Corvair Parts has the listing for door jamb switches AND for headlight switches on the SAME PAGE!

I have discovered that my body often shows signs of decay in more than one place at the same time as I age, much like the Corvair. Clark's has been at it since 1973. Perhaps like doctors they have become good at predicting which parts will begin to fail with age almost simultaneously. :dontknow: :doh:

Or maybe they simply chose to put all electric switches on the same page. :neener: ::-):
Brad Bodie
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

I bought one locally and it is too long. Are clarks shorter and correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”