Water/Meth Injection...

All Models and Years
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Water/Meth Injection...

Post by thewolfe »

I'm using a tial sport 38mm. Tried and true and it works great in conjunction with the electronic boost controller I'm using. I turn the boost up or down with a knob under my dash. You definitely know when that waste gate opens since it is unmuffled. Spring pressure is 10lbs so my adjustment range is from 10 psi on up. 38mm is plenty big for just about anything you can throw at a corvair(before the motor blows). Wideband o2 is the only way to go. I have an AEM uego in my corvair and a innovate mtx-l in my wrx. I like the innovate meter better. It has a faster response and wider range than the AEM. Sensor is in the turbo outlet pipe just before it passes through the engine sheet metal. I would highly recommend a wideband o2 if you're upgrading the carb. It takes all the guesswork out of tuning. The yh is such a simple carburetor, an o2 sensor is really not necessary.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
notched

Post by notched »

thewolfe wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:32 pm I'm using a tial sport 38mm. Tried and true and it works great in conjunction with the electronic boost controller I'm using. I turn the boost up or down with a knob under my dash. You definitely know when that waste gate opens since it is unmuffled. Spring pressure is 10lbs so my adjustment range is from 10 psi on up. 38mm is plenty big for just about anything you can throw at a corvair(before the motor blows). Wideband o2 is the only way to go. I have an AEM uego in my corvair and a innovate mtx-l in my wrx. I like the innovate meter better. It has a faster response and wider range than the AEM. Sensor is in the turbo outlet pipe just before it passes through the engine sheet metal. I would highly recommend a wideband o2 if you're upgrading the carb. It takes all the guesswork out of tuning. The yh is such a simple carburetor, an o2 sensor is really not necessary.
I wouldn't say that yet Nate as you have not gone over 20 psi. The true test of the waste gate is at high boost levels. That is where you can get boost creep. I will say there are no down sides to an MVR 44 on a Corvair at low boost levels. I know because I have one and it works great!
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Like i said - can handle just about anything a corvair motor can take before blowing. 38mm should be good for quite a lot more hp than my or most other corvair engines will ever make. I'll never be running more than 20 psi in my car without building another engine as I don't think stock rods, case studs, or head studs would be adequate at that point. Not saying 44mm is bad at all but 38 is just fine for me at my power level. I can run 15psi all day long without a problem. Well, maybe not all day. Head temps go up fast when you're boosting!
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
notched

Post by notched »

Did you get the Quadrajet on there yet?
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Yes! But I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it lately. House projects and car projects for other people have had me swamped the last few months. After taking all the unnecessary crap off the carb and doing the boost referenced power valve mod it would not idle. Turns out the later qjets have funky idle screws that need to be turned out over 4 turns each. Then the throttle linkage was binding. After having that thing on and off a half dozen times I finally drove it a few weeks ago but cruise was lean - about 16:1 and transition there's a big flat spot and it would only make 10psi boost. Secondaries not opening. Need to adjust the secondary spring tension, the atp adjustment, and may get a diiferent rod/jet combo. That one has stepped rods and I'd rather have a tapered. So it's running now but needs some tuning.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
notched

Post by notched »

Glad to hear it is working! I didn't do much on mine. Have a new short block built. Have to finish the heads and the new turbo plumbing.
Getting married next month so I have been spending money on other things.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”