Diagnosis complete, but still need help.

All Models and Years
KiltedPhoenix

Diagnosis complete, but still need help.

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

I've determined the problem to be the wheel bearing, but now I can't separate axle from brake backing plate. Now what?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Corvair Forum mobile app

64powerglide

Re: Diagnosis complete, but still need help.

Post by 64powerglide »

Better check that U-Joint again, the wheel bearing should not make the noise you described. With the car on jack stands unbolt the U-Joint, it will have to come apart whether it's a bearing or joint. To remove the axle you have to remove the yoke on the axle first, if it's rusted on bad it will be lots of work to remove it. You better hope it's the U-Joint. I replaced my wheel bearings last year & it was one heck of a job. Post what you find when you unbolt the U-Joint. You have to drop the outer suspension as far as it will go, I had to disconnect the shocks & lower the suspension with a jack just to where it took all of the slack from the brake hose. I then was able to move the inner end of the axle to the side & pull the U-Joint out.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
KiltedPhoenix

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

I separated the u joint, turned the half on the diff, no grinding noise, turned the axle, grinding noise. So there it is, the wheel bearing. But I can still not separate axle from brake backing plate. I've taken off the 4 retaining nuts, and I can pull the whole assembly off the control arm, but that is useless to change the bearing. Who do I separate them and also how do I pull the yoke off the axle?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Corvair Forum mobile app

64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Start by spraying everything with PB Blaster. You have to remove the bolt from the yoke on the end of the axle, then you need a good puller. You cannot remove the axle until the yoke is off. Took me 3 days to get mine off. I tightened the puller then hammered & hammered & hammered then put some heat to it & it finally popped loose. Then I worked on the bearing hub, it was rusted real bad. I finally had to use a good wood chisel to get between the dust cover ear & back plate where it goes over the stud & carefully hammered on it until the rust finally let loose. The dust cover comes out with the hub. Hope you don't have as much rust as I did. I really had to work on it for several days. Then I had to go to a heavy truck repair shop to get the old bearings off, the guy had a 40 ton press. A 20 ton press didn't work. Got new bearings from Clark's, $155.00 each last year.

Good luck.
Last edited by 64powerglide on Fri May 05, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Apply liberal amounts of PB blaster, Kroil, or other rust breaking penetrating fluid. Tap,tap,tap on the backing plate while hold the axle still best you can. It is not a bad idea to reinstall the 4 nuts on the studs so you do not crush a thread while you are beating and banging on the backing plate and axle. It will separate eventually. I removed an axle the other day that had been pre sprayed and it took me like 10 mins of soaking and tapping before it came apart. Cleaning (wire brush) the back of the bearing dust cover where it comes out of the back of the backing plate may help also. After that you get to play with yoke removal:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Just to be sure, this is the hub you have, 63-64??
Attachments
165.jpg

Kalamazoo, Mi..
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Rear axle vids.

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”