Steering

All Models and Years
dliner

Steering

Post by dliner »

My '65 Corsa is great on road but I can barely turn the wheel to parallel park. Is this normal? Anything I can do to make it turn more easily?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Steering

Post by bbodie52 »

:swerve: Are there any modifications to your Corvair, such as larger tires and wheels, fast ratio steering arms, custom (small diameter) steering wheel, etc? What tire pressure settings do you use?

:link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=8294&p=55614&hilit ... ght#p55614
bbodie52 wrote:Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:34 pm

:swerve: I remember this subject coming up before. There is a system called EPAS (Electric Power-Assisted Steering) that may be adaptable for the Corvair. There were also other possibilities discussed. You might read through the following thread...

Electronic Power Assisted Steering on a '66 Corvair
:link: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7822&p=52549&hilit=EPAS#p52549

A couple of potential system providers are mentioned...

:link: http://www.usautoperformance.com/

:link: http://www.unisteer.com/

Because of the light front end, Corvairs are usually thought of as not needing power steering. But some drivers may have physical needs that make steering difficult, and it may be possible to adapt an EPAS system to a Corvair.

EPAS has apparently been adapted for use in many classic automobiles. It also may be possible to adapt it for use in a Corvair. If anyone is interested a phone call may begin the process of determining if the EPAS unit can be adapted to the Corvair steering column.

Telephone: 941-504-8686
Email: Geoff@usautoperformance.com

A custom install is shown in a 1954 Chevrolet Belair. It appears to be a flexible system designed to be adapted to many classic vehicles. Many driver assist systems are generic in nature and must be adapted for use in any specific vehicle. A technical discussion with the provider may provide the answers needed, but not necessarily addressed on the website.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
notched

Re: Steering

Post by notched »

There isn't room under the dash board but if you don't mind doing surgery to the trunk and gas tank you can use the Saturn set up as was done to this car.
Attachments
electric power steering.jpg
electric power steering.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 272 times
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”