Turbo fuel pump...

All Models and Years
acarlson

Turbo fuel pump...

Post by acarlson »

What is the output pressure of an LM turbo fuel pump ?
or
What fuel pressure is needed to feed the Carter carb ?
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
notched

Re: Turbo fuel pump...

Post by notched »

2 psi or less with the YH. I typically have had to swap springs in the mechanical pumps from the original AC to the new replacements. Some guys just install a Holley low pressure regulator.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

AFAIK - all the Corair fuel pumps were suppose to operate at 4-5 PSI, BUT conventional wisdom indicates the the turbo YH runs better with about 2PSI. A number of folks use the Holley fuel pressure regulator, don't mount it on the engine due to vibration. You can get flexible fuel lines with fittings made up, don't use rubber lines and clamps in the engine compartment.
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Thanks for the quick replys. Holley makes quite a few regulators. This is the one I'm considering:
Holley.jpg
Holley.jpg (72.22 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
notched

Post by notched »

I had that Holley regulator at one point but did not like the looks of the extra plumbing. So I temporarily installed a gauge and got a spring from an original GM pump. That got me down to 2 psi. No regulator needed. No problems in well over 5 years now and it looks stock.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

notched wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 5:01 am I had that Holley regulator at one point but did not like the looks of the extra plumbing.
I'm not too concerned about the looks or plumbing. My Corsa already has an electric fuel pump and pressure regulator installed. I am rebuilding my engine which is currently out of the car and on an engine stand. I plan to start it there once the rebuild is complete and run it for an hour or two to tune it up and run it for a while before reinstalling in the car. The engine has no mechanical fuel pump so I'm just hacking together something that'll get gas to the carb (at the right pressure) while I'm checking the engine out.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Steve Goodman does a lot of Turbo engine work at his higher altitude shop in Colorado and recommends the Holley 12-804.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”